Forever your home

As I once again glanced in the direction of the densely wooded trees, I caught sight of your usual stoic expression. The one where you stared ahead and tracked the rubbled path with your ever wandering eyes, they were your only downfall. The pain was clear and, although you did your best to hide it, to blink back the tears that threatened to dribble rivers down your cheeks, I could still see it, if I looked close enough I could make out the suffering and longing that was trapped within you. I could sense the repetitive patterns of your thoughts as you constantly tried to drag your mind from the pain and back towards the task that was at hand.

My inner monologue told me to question you, give you a helping hand but my stupid insightful side argued back that what you needed was to be alone, let time heal what it could and leave the rest... What could I do that time couldn't? Heck, what could I do that you couldn't, you were far stronger than I could ever be.

My mind continued this back and forth war, expressing reasons for and against, both valid and that was the worst part... The not knowing.

The white light of the moon soon punctured holes through the canopy of trees that the group had singled out as our own, lose strands of barbed wire hung, exhausted between the shrubs of our new 'home', if you could call it that.

That's when I saw it, properly, when I could tell that the stoic like soldier appearance you put on the outside was nothing but an almost perfectly told lie, almost.

You lay beneath the trees, the moonlight exposed the tears, that reflected the water on your face into dimly lit imitations of the stars.

Our ignorant friends surrounded us, everyone had their pain right? So why would they notice yours? But I did, I watched as it ate you away, as your face creased into deep lines of something close to torture and that was when I was sure.

"Glenn..." I tentatively reached out, touched your arm with my finger tips and quickly withdrew as you flinched away.

"Glenn... You're not alone." He didn't flinch that time as I let my hand fall onto his. The freezing weather did nothing to stop the cold as it radiated out and sent a shiver down my spine as the touch of his almost hyperthermic skin met my hand.

Slowly, I reached to my left and gripped ahold of my thin blanket, soiled with dirt and blood but better than nothing, I drapped it across you.

"Yes I am..." A murmur in the deafly silence of that night, the moon and I the only witness that this sound even touched the air, but it did and the barriers surrounding your prisoner like state were starting to crumble.

"Glenn?"

"She's gone..." His face held a tormented expression, one that I had only ever seen once... On that night, "Enid, she's gone and it's all my fault."

"Glenn... No, no it's not and she's not gone, not really..." My voice too was weak, the emotion encompassing me made me realise how much I'd thought of everyone else, I hadn't even recognised my own pain. But I pushed forwards I needed him to hear this... I could worry about myself later.

And push forwards I did, I watched Glenn's face turn white and shallow and I reached to his fingertips, his freezing, almost dead fingertips and I squeezed as I continued.

"You see Glenn, when where you came from is all but destroyed and when you can't get home and when it feels like your brain is about to explode with the endless possibilities of the future, that's when, at least when I realised, that that's when you make your own home, in the people who surround you... And that includes her, that includes Maggie and she's my home and I know she's yours too, and to me that means she's never gone, no one is, Noah still lives on and Ron and Sam and Abraham and even Spencer because everyone's someone's home, everyone, every walker or grave was or still is home to someone and that means that they live on forever and Maggie's with you right now, her arms encircling you, promising to always, always be your home, just like your hers."

..............

A/N

Okkkkk so it's been awhile, more than a while but yeah, I told you I wasn't ditching!

So this is likely to be a one off, I had a lot of free time and felt in the mood to write, although I have had to work so hard for exams, which is why I had free time cos I've done a lot of work XD

My exams start soon and finish around July time so I won't be able to write at all really but I hope you enjoyed this!

And again I promise I'm not ditching I'll be back in the summer, and I'm sorry I haven't been reading at all recently but I'll try to catch up on your stories when I can as I love them so much and your all so talented!!

Oh by the way this was in the POV of Enid and it's an AU of if Maggie was killed instead of Glenn by Negan, it was kinda random so yeah but it was just an idea, in it they are all on the road for some unknown reason XD

Also sorry if I jump tenses, I tried to go through and change it where I did but I'm not sir I got it all and I hope it makes sense :/ :)

💚💚💚 please like and comment 💚💚💚