All grown up

The curtains lay unmoved from when Maggie had pulled them shut the previous day. None of the small family had much work today and, although Hershel was close to seven now, they had allowed their son into their bed for the night.

Dreams wavered in Maggie's mind and the thought of her son actually having a future finally became a realisation. She hadn't let go of the large amount of anxiety she always kept for the future but, for now at least, everything was looking hopeful.

She traced her fingers over Hershel's hair, his fathers hair. Their son lay sprawled in the centre of the bed, some how during the night pushing both his parents nearer and nearer to the edges.

Maggie watched Glenn and laughed quietly to herself as she saw him slowly roll over and off the bed.

"Ouch... What the, oh right." Glenn scooped his son up into his arms and tucked him securely into the sheets, before climbing back into the bed himself.

"You should've seen your face." Glenn lifted his head from his pillow.

"Oh ha ha." Maggie's smile soon flattened out into an uncertain straight line, "you ok?"

Maggie didn't reply, only stared at her son curled up between them.

"You think he'll want to be on the run team when he's older?" Glenn gripped her hand, although unsure of where she was going with this, he could tell whatever it was caused her some sort of distress and he wanted to comfort her anyway he could. "I mean he watches in awe every time you leave..."

"I don't know mags." His smile grew sad and he too looked to the sleeping boy.

"I'm just worried about you not coming back but if Hershel joins you out there he may not-"

"Hey, stop that... I'll make sure he does."

"And when he moves out and into his own place... How often will we see him or will we be the annoying old folk that he try's desperately to avoid and-"

"Hey, Maggie... Calm down ok?" He let his fingers play with the ends of her hair, a way Glenn had noted along time ago to get Maggie to calm down. "One, that's years and years from now, two, you can't exactly get away from anyone in Alexandria... I mean it's not like a city or anything and three, he won't avoid us."

"But how-"

"He won't."

After a moment of deafening silence Maggie receded, nodding to Glenn and looking once again at Hershel.

.....................

Glenn gathered together a couple tub-aware containers, placing small sandwiches and fruit and various other foods he could find in them.

Maggie had convinced him to "live in the moment" and "make the most of the time they have with Hershel until he leaves them." Of course Glenn tried to convince her, (yet again) that Hershel wouldn't leave them but here he was, making a picnic for the small family.

"Daddy?" Hershel's small hands pushed on the counter as he tried to jump up, and eventually after many attempts, Glenn squatted down picked his son up, placing him lightly on the counter top. "What are you doing?"

"Making lunch, we're gonna go and have a picnic by the water." Hershel beamed at him, staring down at the fruit Glenn was cutting up.

"Will mummy be there too?"

"Yep, we're gonna go when mummy's back from her watch."

The excited boy almost jumped up and down, especially when he heard the front door bang shut and the sound of him mothers voice spiral through the air. "MUMMY!"

"Hey buddy!" She greeted as Hershel catapulted into her arms.

"We're going for a picnic!"

"I know, I know." Maggie kicked off her boots and made her way to her husband with Hershel sat comfortably in her arms.

"Hey!" He smiled, kissing her briefly on the lips before collecting up the food and placing it in a small bag.

"You wanna go get your shoes on Hershey?" Maggie motioned to where his shoes were and he bounded off into the next room.

"You all set?" Glenn balanced the small bag on his hip and took Maggie's hand, nodding in the process.

................

Once out on the street, Hershel had pushed his way in between the couple and gripped both their hands tightly as he begged for the millionth time for his parents to swing him.

"Hershel not again..." Maggie's sigh escaped her lips as their son dragged his feet along the floor, causing both Glenn and Maggie to stop.

"Hersh, we're not gonna drag you the whole way, if we swing you one more time can you please promise to walk normally?" Glenn's voice sounded desperate but Hershel immediately stood normally, nodding his head vigorously in agreement with his father.

....................

The food that hadn't been eaten lay precariously across the rumpled blanket, mostly bits Hershel hadn't eaten, like the crust of his sandwich and the yolk of his egg. And after his parents begging him to eat it they finally let him run around on the grass.

"I'm gonna miss this..." Maggie lay in between Glenn's legs, her head resting neatly on his chest while he played fondly with her fingers. The sun shone high in the sky and the other residents wandered around the town nearby.

"There's gonna be nothing to miss if we don't let it slip away." Glenn gently tilted Maggie's head towards him and placed a delicate kiss to her forehead before the couple turned their attention back to their son, picking dandelions and laughing wildly as the wind blew the seeds away.

...................

A/N

Hey, I hope you all enjoyed that this prompt was from the amazing: peanutsundae and you should totally check them out!! Please leave a vote and don't forget to comment xx 💚💚💚 the next one will hopefully be up at the weekend and if not early next week X 💚