Games

"Ok, now mummy and daddy have to say yes... They can't say no to all of us!" Hershel giggled as he gripped hold of Bethany's out stretched hand.

The siblings peered around them and smiled at the large group of children they had rounded up from across Alexandria.

"Look! There they are!" Hershel ran at full speed towards his parents, dragging Bethany behind him. "MUMMY! DADDY!"

"Hershel?" Maggie questioned before looking behind and raising her eyebrows in surprise at how many small faces were peering up at her and Glenn.

Maggie's eyes finally fell to Enid's who quickly became defensive, "Hershel dragged me into it... I mean I can't just say no to him, have you seen those eyes?"

Both Maggie and Glenn chuckled in agreement, Hershel was the master of getting his own way. "Fine... I will count and you guys hide." Glenn sighed.

Glenn turned his back on the big group of kids and each one skipped in a different direction, including Maggie.

"COMING, READY OR NOT!" Excited squeals filled the air as Glenn finished his count and started his hunt.

He found Carl first, obviously not wanting to play as he was bent over a log, head in hands, reading an old comic Daryl had snatched from one of the runs.

"Sorry Carl but it looks like you're counting next... They're the rules." Glenn chuckled at Carl's eye rolls, "maybe I'll get someone else to do it if you help me find everyone?"

Carl nodded reluctantly before uttering, "Judy's behind the tree," pointing to the large oak tree opposite where Carl was hiding.

Before either of them even attempted approaching it a small huff was heard from the other side, "Carl! That's not fair! Glenn tell him that's not fair!" Judith pouted and then got angry when Carl started laughing at her, "Fine! I'm not playing anyway, I'm gonna go find Tara... Maybe she'll do some colouring with me."

"Right so now only a million more children to find..." Glenn sighed and chuckled at his obvious over exaggeration.

"You forgot Maggie... We also need to find Maggie."

"Nope... She counts as a child too..."

Both started wandering around the area of Alexandria, gleeful smiles escaping onto their faces when another hider was found.

"Daddy! We've been walking around for hours!" Hershel flipped his hands out in front of him to express the sheer annoyance of the situation, "Annnnndddd we still haven't found mummy!"

"Sorry Hersh but mummy's just a very good hider..." Glenn trailed off before a grin found its way to his lips, "oh Maggie... I know where she is!" Glenn bolted from the group of tired and bored children to his family's house, once there he leaped up the stairs, two at a time, before reaching his bedroom door, after this he pushed open the wooden door from its frame and giggled when seeing a mound of duvets and blankets. Glenn jumped through the air and landed just shy of the mound, collecting it in his lap and rummaging through it until he caught sight of a very familiar face, "no fair!" She chuckled.

"Mags you won."

"Took you long enough to find me..."

"I only just remembered the story..."

All through the first summer of the apocalypse Glenn would sit with Maggie and exchange stories from before, one of which Glenn found extremely cute to imagine... She told him of how her mother would play with her on Saturdays... Usually Maggie's favourite game hide and seek, Maggie used to climb the stairs and crawl under her duvet just as her mother would finish her count to 30. Maggie told him how she was sure her mother knew where she was but would still check out all the other hiding places first, like wardrobes and curtains before pulling back the duvet to reveal a giggling Maggie.

Glenn placed a soft kiss to Maggie's head before another familiar object hurtled into the room dragging his big sister behind him, "MUMMY! There you are... We were looking everywhere for you... I thought that you had turned into a superhero and flown away like in Carl's and Enid's comics!"