Dates 1/2

A/N this oneshot is not set in the apocalypse and Glenn and Maggie are not yet a couple
...................

Every time the door to the restaurant swung open, her head swivelled around, trying to catch a glimpse at whoever just walked inside. He was an hour late. Every few minutes she'd have to wave off the waitress, asking for "a couple more minutes." And still she stared at her phone, which displayed only the home screen and nothing else... No texts from him.

She clicked on the messages again and fooled herself into thinking that maybe he was just writing a long reply as under each message had the small word: read. He wouldn't stand her up would he? I mean he'd at least phone right?

She moved her thumbs across the screen like she had done every ten minutes.

Maggie:
8:45:
Hey... You nearly here? It's just they wanna take our orders...
Read

Maggie:
8:55:
Are you stuck in traffic? Can you at least tell me?
Read

Maggie:
9:07:
You're half an hour late... Please tell me if you're not coming?! It's awkward sitting by myself... I'm worrying now!
Read

Maggie:
9:15:
Lucas?!?!
Read

Maggie:
9:27:
Are you coming?
Read

Maggie:
9:39:
I'm going home, please don't text me for awhile... You've really embarrassed me...
Delivered

Maggie sat with her head in her hands as the waitress arrived at her table for the fifth time that night. She tried to conceal the sob and wipe her tears while she ordered a water.

Glenn peered through the crowds of the restaurant and straight towards the girl sat on her own. He was out with his family for the evening but as they all chatted about goodness knows what, he couldn't draw his attention away from the girl sat on her own.

She kept looking towards the door, but as the evening went on, it was clear, that whoever it was, wasn't going to show.

Eventually, when his family had gotten up from their seats and proceeded to the exit, he walked the other way. Sitting down in front of the girl and apologised profusely, "hey... I'm so so sorry I'm late, traffic was awful and the reception was dreadful!" She looked at him with a questioning gaze before he whispered an explanation, "just go with it." He smiled and she smiled back, wiping the last her tears away as the rest of the room went to full volume again, now the focus on them had died down. Glenn's hand extended out to her, "I'm Glenn, and whoever stood you up is a total jerk... I couldn't bear you getting all those horrible looks from the other tables, I know how it feels, trust me." He offered her another smile as she took his hand.

"I'm Maggie."

"That's pretty... You're pretty," Glenn almost physically face palmed at the sheer creepiness of his previous statement.

"You're not so bad yourself Glenn." She smirked and Glenn literally breathed a sigh of relief.

"So... Who were you waiting for anyway?" Glenn ventured delicately, before seeing the hesitation on her face, "you don't have to say... It's just if he does happen to show up, please tell me."

"No it's ok... I doubt he's gonna show, he's not exactly the best boyfriend ever, in fact he's probably one of the worst but my friends... Ex-friends kept badgering me about getting a boyfriend and when Lucas asked, my friend Lori, said yes on my behalf before I could even process anything." Maggie looked down and fiddled with her fingers. "I keep trying to break it off with him but he makes me feel trapped... You know like I can't leave."