36

Captain America Saves The Day For The Carolina Panthers

The Carolina Panthers pulled out an upset victory against the defending Super Bowl champions, the New England Patriots. Harrison Ford, now known as Captain America, led a defensive spark in the third quarter that led to the Panthers mounting a comeback to top the Patriots.

Captain America came about due to Ford's ability to make every play. Teammate Cam Newton says, "because he's always there. He makes every play."

The Panthers jumped out to a 7-0 lead earlier in the first quarter with Cam Newton connecting with Kelvin Benjamin for a 74-yard touchdown. Then the Patriots came back to score 17 unanswered points.

Not converting on a third down, the Patriots were forced to settle for a field goal before returning a fumble for a touchdown on the following drive.

In the final few seconds before halftime, Tom Brady and the Patriots drove 90 yards for a touchdown in 3:53 to extend the lead to 17-7.

The Panthers looked to rebound following halftime. Harrison Ford, Luke Kuechly, Shaq Thompson, and David Mayo each came up with huge stops to keep the Patriots out of field goal range and force them to punt.

Carolina's offense came out strong with running back Christian McCaffrey picking up two rushing touchdowns in back to back drives.

With only a few seconds left in the game and the Patriots on offense, Harrison Ford became the hero of this afternoons game. Reading the offense, Ford backed way up into coverage at midfield. Tom Brady, not realizing the trick that had been played on him, threw a pass in the direction of tight end Rob Gronkowski, which Ford "came out of nowhere" to intercept. With the help of Luke Kuechly making a key block, Ford was able to run it back for his second pick six of the season.

The touchdown was enough to seal the game and turn the Panthers fourth victory of the season into an upset against the Patriots, with a final score of 21-17.

The Panthers head to Detroit to take on the Lions next Sunday at 1ET.

Carrie Fisher © ESPN

Carrie closed her laptop and leaned against Harrison's chest. She sat in his lap for the past half hour in their hotel room, working on this article while he simply rested his chin on her shoulder and watched her type it.

"Who came up with Captain America?" He asked, gently brushing his lips against her neck.

His arms wrapped around her as she answered, "I did. A few weeks ago. Cam liked it and it stuck."

Harrison smiled like a little boy. His smile stretched all the way to his ears, and it made Carrie giggle. "I like it."

She set her laptop on the table beside their shared bed. "It works. You were the hero out there today."

"You should've seen Tom's face when I came running by."

"I can only imagine. Then you stiff armed him."

Carrie turned around so she was now facing him. He flexed his big muscles for her to see. "All that lifting has been paying off. I took him down with one arm."

"That was pretty funny."

"We talked about it after the game. He said he had no idea I was out there."

"I didn't see you until you made the interception."

"Maybe you should call me Batman."

"Superman works as well," she suggested. "Although, I like Captain America the best."

With one arm around her, he reached down over the side of their bed and grabbed a game used football. Harrison handed it to her. "I don't usually keep these, but when you pick off Tom Brady, that's an accomplishment. And even more so to make it a pick six."

"He had no idea you were out there."

"Absolutely no idea. I spent all that time studying film and when they set up like that, I recognized Gronk would be running a route over the middle. So I just jumped right in front."

Carrie could listen to him talk about football all day. For now, she decided to lean in and press a gentle kiss to his lips. Harrison kissed her back before tipping them both on their sides.

"I love you Carrie."

"I love you too Captain America."