And when she would come to the harsh realisation that the world and the people in it couldn't be fixed by smiles and sunshine... he hoped he wouldn't be there for the aftermath.

    "It's getting late," Lenny whispered, her voice like a caress in the wind.

    "Yeah." He stood up and wiped the sand off his clothes. "I better get back to, uh, your shack. My brother needs me. It was cowardly of me to run away."

    "You're not a coward." She met his stance as she got up. "And your brother's already at your apartment by now. Zach took care of him."

     His eyes widened. "Zach came?"

    "Right after you left."

     Great. Just like the old days. Things never changed, did they?

     When Theo looked at her again, he was surprised to find that Lenny's eyes were on him. He cleared his throat. "That's great."

     She only smiled. "Well, until we meet again, stranger."

     Theo opened his mouth, wanting to say something, but no words came out. He stared at her walking away for a few seconds before noticing which direction she was talking. It wasn't Anchor's

    "Wait, you're walking home?"

    "Uh, yeah?" Her lips twitched in amusement. "It's right up the street."

     Yeah, pass the entire road of the District. "I'll walk with you."

     She let out a laugh. "It's fine, really, but thank you — "

    "I'm heading that way as well." It was a half lie. Passing the District meant taking a few longer turns. But he didn't tell her that. He'd feel guilty if something happened to her.

     Lenny cocked her head, looking up at him. He was taller than her, but even then, he felt like she was the one who had the upper hand.

    "Okay," she caved in. "After you, then."

***

     The District was slowly coming to life.

     When he first arrived in the small town, he and Zach immediately went to the hotspot that everyone was talking about. It was a long street of endless rows of restaurants, bars and clubs, providing the town's visitors and locals all the entertainment they could ever wished for.

     Late-night restos raged on; countless bars thrummed with music; neon signs from thrift shops and clubs flickered against the growing night. There were less cars on the streets and more people walking around, looking for their next escapade.

     It was like the moment the sun went down, the streets came alive.

     Theo glanced at the girl beside him.

     She was completely at awe. Every time a group of people laughed nearby, or a random pantomime stopped in front of them, or a street musician serenaded, she would look there. She'd look everywhere. Completely entranced.

     Lenny noticed him glancing at her.

     He cleared his throat. "Not your first time here, is it?"

    "Of course not," she teased. "But every time I pass these streets, it's always that same feeling, you know? Like I've stepped into a whole new world. Everywhere you go is an adventure and everyone you meet is a mystery. It's amazing."