XXXI: The Past and Its Shadows

Even as she walked towards what one would call her imminent doom, Minerva couldn't help but feel...disappointed.

Don't get her wrong, she was scared of death, and any ordinary girl would be freaking out right about now and crying for home and family. But, come on–this is Minerva Paradizo we are talking about! Though if it was the same her from back then, she would've whined to have a more efficient and clean way of doing things. But hey–your funeral.

As she slowly shuffles forward, making a typical scene any ordinary person would do approaching a guillotine, Minerva thought of ways to escape while also analyzing the situation. Something about this scene is way off.

For one clear thing, she wasn't Artemis Fowl–Based on what Holly had told her back at camp, the alternate Artemis Fowl of this world had caused such a strong havoc against the People that he'd become a wanted criminal, alive or preferably dead–meaning there would be a spread of his image in every posted street and entrance. How would the people be fooled? What's the point then of all this?

Minerva then glanced at the people and suddenly all thoughts left the window–stunned by not only the anger, but also the grief and horror they had in their eyes. That was enough for her to conclude that it was no use to reason with these people, now flocks of a sheep crying out for blood–to hide what they've lost in the mass of numbers. There was no justice to be found here–only pure anger.

Minerva reached the platform and was positioned up front, the crowd now jeering and insulting her–they would have begin throwing sticks and stones had the official not raise his palms for order. He pulled out his sheet of paper and read out loud, "Lady Artemis Fowl the II, former representative of the Mudmen, you are hereby charged with treason, mass genocide, devastation upon the populace of Haven, the murder of..."

The list went on and on, inciting crimes only a monster would've committed–yet everyone ate it up, all but the dumbfounded Minerva.

Lady?

Filing that information behind her mind, Minerva decided to think more into it when she is safe and sound, away from the gallows. She then heard an unusual chirp from above, and looked up to see shadows amongst the buildings...faint and well hidden, she felt like they were staring straight at her, as if waiting for something...

Out of intuition, she whistled the same notes back, uncertain of the reaction. She had heard of this similar method used to signal towards imprisoned soldiers in a rescue operation of sorts–though Minerva was unsure who in there right mind would come to save her. The chances of that whistle meant for her is slim, and it being just a random coincidence is even more likely. But something tugged at her when she heard the sound, like a force equal to a string...

Before she could think more into it, the official then boomed, "Has the accused have anything to say for her crimes?"

"I'd tell you how I really feel, but I wasn't born with enough middle fingers to express myself in this case" Minerva smirked coldly. A roar of rage came forth, but she simply shrugged this off.

She picked up that some of the mentioned crimes seem exaggerated or tampered somehow; she could tell by the body language of the official and the uneasiness of the crowd, as if hearing most of the crimes for the first time of their lives. Of course, this doesn't mean Artemis isn't a criminal; it's just the prejudice laid against him is bloated to such a corrupted extent that the people had been basically brainwashed to band against this supposed monster. Surely, with this method of controlling the masses Artemis would have no room to move around Haven and would just be caught in a matter of days. So how did he...or she, managed to hide for two years? Unless...