XXIIIb: "Reunion"

Hu...tzpah?

Hu...bris?

Hu..manitarian Pro?

Holly desperately tried to fill in that slip of the tongue with anything, anything but...whatever she assumed it was.

She decided to just fiddle with a pen while she waited in the familiar Commander's office, feeling the constant glances of her supposed colleagues behind the tampered glass. The windows were blocked by shades so Holly couldn't really see much of Haven, but she had been having this uneasy feeling lately that keeping her on edge. And it's NOT because of Trouble being...

Holly tried her best to calm down, her face in a faint shade of pink as she tried to concern herself with the whereabouts of Minerva and Artemis. Obviously she and Minerva were to act as bait to lure the Mudboy into the People's grasp, but the question then is if he will take it–and if so then it all goes down to the how and where.

Most likely he would try to ally himself with the demigods, Holly tapped her fingers on the desk impatiently, but whether they will help him or not would depend on how well he convinces them...though I doubt that.

Being children of gods, they already have enough trouble as it is with their so-proclaimed monsters and such, why bother helping an intruding mortal with his cause? But...you can never tell with Artemis Fowl. Having the knack for both trouble and luck, he would find a way...somehow.

A click from the door perked her up back to action and she immediately faced the shady figure. Her eyes were immediately drawn and locked towards the person's eyes that really defined exhaustion, ones that have seen much and have lacked sleep because of it, but noticed a glimmer in light in them. Although he didn't look any different as that from her alternate world, something felt different with this man she had interacted with most of her life–almost as if he had been broken from the inside.

"Trouble..." she murmured, the words slipping through her mouth before she could stop herself. Trouble froze upon the mention of his name, his gaze suddenly going in and out of focus at the sight of her. For two minutes, they simply stared in silence, a sort of understanding coming between them.

A chime from the clock spurred both back into reality, making Trouble brisk-walked his way to his desk while Holly looked down in the floor. A shuffle of papers here and there, a whistle, and an awkward cough later, Holly decided to take initiative to speak, "So...new haircut?"

Trouble suddenly slammed his papers on the table, fixing her with a deathly glare, "What!?"

Holly sat up stiffly but continued in a casual tone, "I mean, it's wilder and more...everywhere than the last time I've seen it. Trying a new look? I'd rather stick to your usual; yours right now looks like a bird's nest. Haven't I told you to look out for yourself better?"

Trouble simply had a look of disbelief in his face, his mouth agape. He took a breath and sighed, his right hand on his face, "Two years you have been gone–proclaimed KIA, for D'arvit's sake! And the first thing I get in our reunion is a scolding!"

"What did you expect? Me running into your arms and proclaiming 'Kumbaya! I'm alive!' with tears on my eyes?" Holly snorted while crossing her arms, "I'm not a child, Trouble, and it will take a more dire situation to make me do something as mortifying as that"

Trouble suddenly erupted into laughter, the strangeness of the situation too confusing to handle. Holly simply kept her stance, unsure of what to say or do.

"You...you really are..." Trouble mumbled while wiping the tears out of his eyes. Holly noticed that he was now visibly more relaxed, now having a newfound twinkle on what was once deadpanned eyes.

A communicator dinged on the desk, and a womanly voice spoke out in a matter-of-fact tone, "Commander, the usual attendant has come for–"

Trouble quickly pressed the rely button, "Not now, do the usual excuse and dismiss. I have an important matter to attend to right now" after letting go of the buttons, he then faced Holly seriously, "Alright Holls, enough with the games; what happened to you? Where have you been? In fact, what were you doing with-with that criminal?!?"

Many things came rushing in Holly's mind, but all she blurted was "Holls?" she couldn't help but giggle a bit, the cheesy nickname too cringe yet all too cute at the same time. Trouble's ears reddened, but didn't sway from his serious front, "Holly...answer me"

"I...I honestly don't know" Holly replied with a frown, weighing if she should tell him the truth or lie about who she was. Before she could decide, Trouble stood up and began pacing back and forth, "Artemis Fowl! That criminal must have brainwashed you, or worse! Oh, justice will come, every villain always gets it in the end!"

"Why do y–the People have a vendetta against Fowl?" Holly questioned in anger and curiosity.

"You mean you don't know!? You don't remember? BLAST THAT IRISH B-"

"TROUBLE!" Holly grabbed him, soothing him with her touch, "Tell me..."

Trouble narrowed his eyes at her, his eyes ones again going in and out of focus. Then he scowled and said, "See for yourself"

Before Holly could ask, he then pulled the shades up, the glare biting her vision for awhile. When she adjusted, what beheld her was a sight of horror she couldn't imagine ever happening, "This...this couldn't be...no way could Artemis do...Haven..."

Even with two years, Holly could trace where indentations of explosions had occurred, where the impacts were the greatest. She could even trace where her home is...or was. The scene was the familiar noise and bustle of Haven...or what's left of it.

Half of Haven was gone.

=====🗣=====

Sumimasen! 🙏🏼

I'm currently in the middle of a trip around Japan, so I've been too occupied to work on the fanfic, but I hope this will sate it for now until I return a week from now!

Thanks for the patience!
🦉🇯🇵