XXVII: The Past that Binds Us

"Arty? Arty!"

"Coming, mother!" Artemis groaned as he head down the stairs, prepped in outdoor attire for a trip with Angeline Fowl. Since his father was out on a business trip and Butler was on a short errand, he had no other reason to stay behind. Granted, he was already far more mature-but age is age–Angeline also figured it was time for some family bonding between mother and child. Not like Artemis had anything better to do to begin with.

Normally, a ten year old in early December should be knee deep in studies, but of course Artemis was no ordinary boy. He couldn't help but smirk upon recalling the faces of his classmates when he had been exempted from further classes during the 2nd month–for he had exceeded, if not mastered all the education the school could offer!

As heir to a rich and powerful family, his temperament and intelligence had long surpassed his peers, and have even reached heights worthy of a high school degree–and that was when he was 7!

Now, he was on par with nearly every high-class student of those prestigious universities, just three steps away from even Oxford! Hell, he was recognized as a worthy partner with the goddess of wisdom herself! Or...wait...

At this thought, a sudden rush of familiar images surge through his vision like a coursing river, making him stumble to his feet. Words flowed into his sight like mirages; faeries, magic, monsters, time, portal, demigod...

"Arty! What happened!?" Angeline fussed and quickly helped up young Artemis tidy himself up, "We will be late at this rate!"

"...Oh-sorry mother" Artemis muttered aloofly, frowning that the moment was gone and not recalling anything at all on what just happened, "Will Butler be joining with us?"

"I'm afraid his errand has stretched longer than intended" Angeline sighed but gave an elegant smile, "Nothing to fear, dear; no one in Dublin would ever mess with a Fowl"

"Perhaps" Artemis muttered unconvinced. Although it was true that the neighborhood would never dare to mess with them, you could never be too sure when an enemy would have the guts to be hidden in the crowd, waiting to strike.

The two Fowls then hurriedly got in the limo, Angeline taking the wheel while ranting about the government and their ignorance to nature. Artemis simply sighed and looked out the window. He was eager to continue his lessons with his father, especially on the duties and responsibilities the name of Fowl carries. He had also deduced that this time, he might just learn what could be encased in the Fowl Vault.

This had roared a deep curiosity in himself; after all, he had been prohibited from entering that area! His father had told him that when the time is right, he would be allowed in. Artemis naturally picked up that whatever was inside, it had more than just gold and jewels. What cost would it truly be? What could be more valuable to protect beyond wealth?

The mystery had fueled his youth within to try his best to infiltrate and take a good look. Only, every time he tried he could only be hindered either by Butler or his Father. If by chance he had fooled them somehow, the intricate security in place was by far more unbelievable that it truly left him dumbfounded; rather than a set of passwords, fingerprints and voice recognitions–it was a set of intricate puzzles and cleverly designed traps and riddles! Even if he failed, he found the entire thing a challenge finally worthy of his full attention. What's more surprising is that it changes every day...almost like magic! Magic...