XXVa: Just Koboi Things

Holly did the natural thing; she sucker-punched Opal Koboi in the face.

Impractical? Maybe
Reasonable? Of course
Enough? Ohhh, Holly just got warmed up!

"Wait, Holly" Trouble sighed and pulled her away from the head of Haven, now on the floor with a bloody nose. The male pixie hurriedly fussed and wailed, one which Opal Koboi sourly refused as she regained her bearings.

"Why is she here?" Holly hissed, fixing Trouble with a deathly glare that made him gulp, "And why of all Haven's is she in charge!?"

Seeing that he couldn't reason with Holly at the moment, Trouble directed his attention to Opal with a firm stare, "I had already sent you the report, my Lady. I have also specifically stated that I wouldn't be disturbed"

"Quite right, yes" Opal smiled coldly, "But I figured I should play as witness in your session of 'interrogation'. Think of this as a favor, so that your report will be accepted with ease. That, and to make sure there won't even be the slightest bias in it"

"As if I'd ever!"

"Who knows" Opal Koboi shrugged with a purr, "Afterall, she is your spouse–you would be willing to pull strings to help her however you can. Isn't that natural for a faithful husband?"

Trouble opened his mouth but was tongue-tied. He knew Opal didn't trust him, just as much as he doesn't trust her. Holly surprisingly had also stopped her tantrum, but clearly for a different reason.

"Sp-Spouse?" Holly squeaked in disbelief.

"Even so, this is my job, Opal" Trouble continued, ignoring Holly's statement, "You may hold the highest seat in Haven, but that does not give you the right to meddle in affairs beyond your station"

"All the more proves your movements will garner suspicion, Commander" Opal sneered, "What would the people of Haven say when news of Holly Kelp had actually survived the Ireland Incident? What kind of explanation will you give them, I wonder–when you yourself don't understand that either?"

"I-I'm not following" Trouble flinched, giving Holly a quick glance. He was in a bind; he wanted Holly to take her time on recovering from whatever influence that Mudchild had done her in, but that exactly the problem–what happened to her and where was she during these two years? What was she doing? How did she survive? And if so, are there any other survivors?

At the moment Holly was too shrouded in mystery to be comfortable, even for him. He was basically right now abusing his duty as Commander for his love to his wife! Such behavior was inexcusable, and might even jeopardize the safety of Haven!

Also...if the People do accept whatever reasoning they could come up with, would they accept the fact that she lived while many others died? She'd be questioned relentlessly, maybe even harassed to the point of even causing her harm beyond measure. And her duty as a LEPRecon officer didn't help matters; people will then also start questioning the effectiveness of the unit in keeping security and the well-being of others. Regardless, Holly would never have a normal life in Haven ever again. This thought disturbed Trouble, and by the expression Holly was giving, she had figured it out too.

All in all, it was safer for the hearts and minds of the People that Holly and her survival would remain a secret. That would mean...

"Are you blackmailing me, my Lady?"

"Oh please, what's the fun in that?" Opal puckered her lips, but her intelligent eyes says otherwise, "I was merely suggesting the worst-case scenario. If, by a minuscule chance that such delicate information were to leak...ahh, I'm sure you can picture this much"

"You insufferable hag of a pixie!" Holly growled, but this time Trouble held her back before she could do anything. As much as he'd like to see Holly sucker punch this vile woman, it wouldn't do anything much in the long run.

"What do you want, Opal?" Trouble asked with controlled rage. Opal simply smiled and waved her hand, the male pixie bowing in dismissal. Once the door closed and the three were assuringly alone, Opal pulled out a file with a serious face, "My Lab had been robbed"

"Robbed? The Resistance again?" Trouble eyes widened, but Holly wasn't convinced on his expression, as he knew more that he let on. And...resistance?

"I'm afraid not" Opal sighed, taking a seat on the main chair, her slender fingers tapping the table in a timely manner, "Those bunch of fools wouldn't be able to even pass the front gate! Usually, I'd suspect Foaly–but the scene of the crime prove too crude and barbaric to fit his style, him and his centaur pride after all. Imagine: a giant hole right in the middle of my living room! How that wasn't felt or heard is beyond me! Too clean to be a drill, yet too instantaneous for it to be done any other way!"

"Oh?" Trouble suddenly had a genuine concern on the matter, and so did Holly. Opal may be an untrustworthy individual, but all the more it would be a problem if someone else managed to sneak right under her nose, "What was stolen?"

"It's an odd list" Opal cocked her head with a frown, "Mostly Human-made components, junk pieces and whatnot...oh, and a recon suit"

"...Fowl?" Trouble narrowed his eyes. This was the reason why he had tolerated this partnership with this pixie for so long; under her authority, he is free to pursue any case if it involves that cursed human being in any way, no matter how indirect or unlikely. Could he be planning to sneak into the LEPRecon office? And what could the stolen components mean?

Holly immediately wanted to argue, but then had a thought and kept her mouth shut. Since she had no knowledge on this world's Artemis Fowl, she obviously can't say anything on the defense. Add to the fact that she isn't even Holly Kelp <shudder>, she'll only attract unwanted attention and may put her and Minerva at risk.

Even so...it's too fishy. Right in the middle of the capture and interrogation of Holly and possibly Minerva, a crisis that involves human stuff occurs in Koboi Labs, which everyone knows to be the one of the most secure facilities in Haven, second only to Atlantis!

...a framing perhaps?

"Are you sure? What had your cameras caught?" Holly quickly added, wanting to dig more details with a suspicious glance.

"They've been tampered with–but in a very odd manner" Opal waved her hand in dismissal, "My security, my business. Simply put, i was robbed in the most successful way possible–even I'm amazed!"

Before another word can be placed in further, a distant horn echoed the streets from the outside. Opal clapped her hands in delight, "Perfect! It's time for a game of cat and mouse!"