XXIX: Athena-Artemo Ergane

"It was hard for you, wasn't it...mom?"

"...I'll pretend you did not just call me that"

The grip around her throat quickly loosened, allowing Annabeth to breathe and cough out. Just as quickly, a pair of hands helped her up and dragged her to a corner, her vision still cloudy from the strain.

"A-Artemis?"

"Oh gods, I'm so sorry!" the boy muttered in worry and flinched upon seeing the hand marks around her throat, "Percy is going to kill me, isn't he?"

"Obviously. But we have more pressing matters to attend to" Annabeth shook her head groggily. As delighted as she was that Artemis was back (preferably not killing her), the battle against the elemental continued to rage in the background.

"How long was I out?" Artemis asked while he wrapped a wet handkerchief around bruise on her neck with that of pure experience. When did he learn that?

"About half an hour or so?"

"...You're joking" Artemis glances at her with confusion, "I was sure I've been gone quite longer..."

"I wouldn't joke in a situation like this, Fowl"

"You and I have a different view on what could be taken as a joke then"

Annabeth quickly noticed something was different from Artemis; he still had that arrogant and sly persona, but he felt more...calm, mature even. What bothered her the most was that his seem to flicker between blue and silver frequently, and had a faint scent of olives...

"I'll carry you to the Kane's" Artemis resolved as he picked up his cane, "I must go help Percy take down this...?"

"It's a Water elemental," Annabeth quipped, "And in no way is it possible for you to carry me all the way across, much less battle that thing! You're body is drained; you've been possessed for too long–"

"No one understands my situation better than myself, Ms. Chase" Artemis muttered as he pulled out a scroll shimmering with golden luster, "We got this! You sit this one out; any more damage on you and I'm sure I'd get a fistful of saltwater up my nose, and I'd rather not repeat that experience"

He unfurled the scroll, revealing two Greek words of gentle radiance: 'Ἀθηνᾶ Εργάνη'

Almost instantaneously, a familiar golden light engulfed Artemis like tendrils of flame, making Annabeth look away by reflex...

=====🦉=====

"This is endless!" Sadie complained as she took down another mini-elemental, which quickly reformed and smacked to the side. Walt swatted it back into the crowd, just as two more came crawling towards their shield.

Just when the battle was turning to their favor, the water elemental decided to spit itself into two; one dealt with Percy while the other further split into more miniature versions of itself and began hassling the magicians into one-on-one's, dividing the once united group and spreading the chaos. This in itself was enough to give everyone a nightmarish flashback when they battled Apophis, the Lord of Chaos. Not cool.

"We must regroup!"

"It's no use, sis!" Carter shook his head as he sliced one in half, "If we couldn't take it down the first time we attacked together, the second time would be just as ineffective, it may even put us at a far riskier situation!"