IIa: Misunderstanding

Love...It was a vague idea that Artemis couldn't wrap his head around properly.

Yet, he had found some connection of similar sorts and symptoms in his relationship with Minerva, who had insisted to be his girlfriend even when they've just been acquainted for merely six months. He wasn't sure how it happened nor can conceive a logical explanation to the reactions he had with this particular individual, but being assured by Butler that this was a positive growth to his well-being, he decided to go along and accept Minerva's generous offer. It also had been Butler's suggestion to invite the lady to begin with as an assistant in programming and direction, being one who could properly hold an intellectual conversation of equal level with Artemis; Sure enough, they had built quite a platonic relationship over the course of her participation in his current project. She was a trustworthy and reliable companion, Artemis affirmed to himself, not quite sure why his neck and ears felt hot with the thought. Holly would understand.

She did not.

As Minerva pulled away, and as Artemis turned to face Holly to explain this revelation of thought to her, a sharp jab of pain from his ear cut him off. Holly was pulling it, shooting a dangerous glare as she directed Artemis out of Minerva's grasp and dragged him all the way to the Fowl library. She locked the room and faced Artemis, anger and disbelief were the emotions she held at the moment.

Was this what people called jealousy? No...it was preposterous! Him and Holly were many things, but lovers was never the sort they had, not since they jumped in time and were roughly the same age. Artemis was sure that Holly's concern was a different matter altogether. And indeed it was.

"Artemis Fowl! You had SWORN not to tell another human being about the People! Since she is involved, no matter how good you are in convincing or hiding it, anyone with a brain can tell this is not any ordinary project of human standards!"

"Ahh, direct to the point, aren't you? It is nothing to be concerned of, Captain; first of all, I had promised to the People I would not tell another regular human being and that if I do somehow manage to transfer such knowledge, I'm responsible over the person to keep the secrecy intact; all the conditions are properly met" Artemis stated calmly, "She is one of equal footing as I in terms of mind, maybe even more so considering her thorough comprehension of human emotion and ideology. And yes, I do trust her and thus am willing to be responsible of what I have shared with her. But, fret not..." Artemis paused to face the window. It had begun to drizzle, a beginning of the approaching storm, "I haven't talked about the People to her at all, only that I've wielded an extensive energy relative to what we humans call magic, and had been cautiously vague of its source. I am no fool, Captain, what person do you take me for? Who am I to challenge the power of a promise made with the People bounded by the Book?"

Holly sighed while whispering to herself, most likely discussing the situation with Foaly. Artemis simply just stood there, awaiting their judgement. Of course he wasn't careless in this sudden partnership, as no one knows better than him on how valuable information is as part of the third millennium; Knowledge was as valuable as gold, especially when you've illegally obtained it, meaning effort and dangerous situations have unfolded in its wake. Surely, with all Artemis has endured to reach a perfect standoff with the People while obtaining what he sought for was a result earned with right, and was not willing to impart it generously even with frivolous matters such as love and trust, as if they hold weight to make the exchange fair. He was very clear that these abstract thoughts did not merit this to be an acceptable trade, and therefore only imparted necessary variables to her and nothing more.

"Has she sworn not to tell anyone?" Holly carefully asked, her temper seeming to cool.

"Of course, I'll even vouch for her"

Holly eyed me carefully, probably weighing her decision for any error of judgement. Her shoulders then visibly relaxed and sighed in surrender, "Alright, I'll  let this slide for now, but we will have to pay a visit to the Council to properly handle this; I'm sure they'll demand a tighter leash on you because of your carelessness"

"It's fine, Holly. I understand my actions and will negotiate with the People later" Artemis nodded and moved to leave, "Now, shall we get going?"

They headed back to the study where Minerva was patiently waiting, tapping into a computer. She looked up and narrowed her eyes at Holly, "I presume you've resolved the matter of my relationship with Artemis?"

"I'm afraid so" Holly tried to smoothen things out with a smile, but it came out as a smirk. They both then seem to be fixed into a glare contest, fueled by a misunderstanding; one side assuming a love rival, while the other perceiving a threat to the secret of the People's existence.

"Minerva, my love" Artemis called out, the description placed in for flattery, "I'm afraid you are not properly acquainted with my friend here, Holly Short; Holly, this is Minerva Paradizo, my...girlfriend" he paused, knowing he was about to stutter. Why was this so?
While Artemis wallowed in confusion, Holly made her way to Minerva and extended her hand, "A pleasure to meet your acquaintance"

"Likewise" Minerva accepted it with a grip, only to be gripped harder by Holly. Both glared with anger, communicating their animosity towards the other.

Artemis then clasped his hands together, getting out of his short stupor upon realizing a thought, "We've been far too delayed, suit up and rendezvous back here in thirty minutes; the expedition will now commence!"