XXIIIc: The Ireland Incident

"How..."

Holly muttered weakly, her throats suddenly feeling dry and her eyes threaten to water. Even if this was an alternate world and not hers, the sight of her home in such a terrible state...any person that treasured where they have lived and fought for most of their lives would at least cry in sympathy.

"It happened during the Ireland Incident" Trouble stared her down seriously, "Do you remember that? You...and around 2,000..."

"What incident?" Holly glared as anger builds up within her, to whom it was directed to even she isn't clear on that.

Trouble had a baffled expression and was about to argue, but then had a thought and quickly reached for a folder in his desk. He handed it over and as Holly opened it, Trouble faced the window with his eyes closed.

"...We don't know much of what happened, and I was hoping you'd shed some light the higher-ups aren't willing to give but...according to Foaly..."

=====🦉=====

Two years ago

(Alternate) Foaly POV

"I'm sorry about this, Holly" Foaly apologized through the comms as he typed in several protocols and planned contingencies, "You were the only agent available and, well, you are practically our personal representative with in dealing with that Mudchild"

"Honestly, Foaly" Holly's voice scowled back, "Your timing is as impeccable as ever"

"Why? Did I interrupt your little honeymoon?"

"..."

"Hello? Mrs. Kelp?"

"I'll ram your donkey behind with a pole if you don't shut up"

"Woah there, such indecency! What would your future kids think?" Foaly chuckled as he sees from the video feed of her flicking him off. Before he could start another line of banter, an red alarm rang in the sensors. That's not good.

"Holly, we have a Class B fire has erupted in the Irish Faery Base! Get in there and assist"

"Understood" Holly replied firmly and without question. Although her mission at the moment was to mediate whatever Fowl was up to, it was very clear to both that the safety and secrecy of the People must take first priority! A fire of this urgency will definitely be noticed by the Mudmen, and the last thing he wants to end the day with is another clean up and cover job.

"How did the fire start, if you mind me asking" Holly asked as she zipped by, approaching the building smoke in the distance.

"Probably another gas leak from the pods" Foaly sighed as he loaded the quick intel report and skimmed through it. His eyes suddenly furrowed and said, "Originally a Class A fire? That can't be right"

Class A fires began through contact with wood, coal, or any other solid but flammable materials. To begin with, such a type of fire would be impossible to start in these Faery outposts–much less a fully equipped base with a direct route to Haven.

"I thought our bases were laced with steel and barred metal" Holly interjected, "Aren't there even sprinklers?"

"The bases are equipped with the highest form of defensive procedures the People could build and buy" Foaly huffed as he types in orders to the clean up crew and LEP officials, "They are built to be shielded from satellites, radar, or any other sensory frequencies and methods. Trust me, this is a full-blown bunker-of-the-future we are talking about here!"