XXIIIa: Imprisonment

Minerva POV

It has been approximately 3 days (give or take) since her capture, and all Minerva could do was pace back and forth in her miniature cell that had no window nor an open door. The room was single-handed lay lit by a candle by the table that had no chair. Heck, the room had nothing else except for the bucket for sanitary reasons.

She had been counting to pass the time while also thinking of scenarios she would likely encounter and thought of countermeasures for each one. Sadly, she had no idea what kind of people these hooded figures are, so her ideas are all based in theory and experience.

It was obvious what she was to them: a bargaining chip. After all, their true target is Artemis Fowl, either hers or theirs it didn't seem to matter. Whatever crime this alternate world's Artemis Fowl had committed, it has amassed to full cruelty and anger of Them.

This is going to get ugly; with no prior knowledge of the events that have taken place in this world, Minerva can barely think of ways to deal with upcoming negotiations. That is, if they are planning to talk to her at all. If they do intend to do so, then that would mean that Artemis is still safe and out and about. The question was time, and she had a lot of it.

=====🦉=====

"UP!"

Minerva was suddenly pulled out of her sleep with hands binding her arms and a blind on her eyes immediately. Approximately 14 hours after last time check, and the first thing they do in contact is to gag and bind me, she sighed inwardly and secretly cursed this world's Artemis Fowl as they hurried her to wherever the hell they want.

Without proper sight and scope, she couldn't sense her surroundings right and thus she decided to continue counting rather than try to gauge how many times she turned corners and hallways and such. It wouldn't help her anyway, since her chances of escaping were near to none considering her opponents were magic-wielding, merciless thugs.

After a good deal of walking, they stopped on top of some sort of platform and made her kneel. Chains were then bounded to her arms and wrists, her neck and waist. Was this really necessary?

Minerva could hear Gnommish chattering amongst the guards, but somehow she couldn't tell what they were saying. They must have applied some sort of drug to her in relation to comprehension, as not only could she not understand, but her sense of awareness was that of a drunk. Clear mind, but without a sense of presence–escape will really be impossible at this rate. Even it's Holly–

Wait, where is the Captain?

=====🦉=====

Holly POV

Unbelievable.

Holly may not know exactly what was going on, but based on her knowledge and a sadly good amount of experience, she shouldn't be locked in a wide, clean room complete with decent food and music blasting in the background. Even if she is clearly one of the People and was wearing attire somewhat resembling in function to the LEPRecon (even with Artemis' personal modifications), wherever you look at it I was a collaborator of the enemy of this alternate world.

What's more...

Holly narrowed her eyes on the black windowpanes around her, aware of eyes looking from every corner. This is just invasion of privacy, even prisoners have rights!

Feeling like a guinea pig, she avoided as much eye-catching movement as possible and settled with just pacing back and forth while worrying for Minerva's and Artemis' fate. It was getting annoying at this point that the two people she is charged on guarding had each been knocked out at least twice, not giving her a very good track record in bodyguard duty. Butler would be disappointed.

"Ho...lly! Do... read?"

The sudden crackling of a voice in her hidden comms caught Holly so off guard she yelped, feeling the eyes pressing on her suddenly. She recovered her posture quickly and continued pacing as if nothing happened. She waited until the eyes around her diminished by a degree before slumping into the bed, trying to display how tired she was and made it natural-like for her to wrap herself in the blanket.

"Foaly! Come in, Foaly!" Holly whispered quietly into her hidden communicator that she had brought from the beginning of this mission. It was a wonder that it wasn't confiscated, and they must have figured it was too low-tech looking to be of any use as a tool. But that's the ingenious of it–under the guise of a human tool, this was the state-of-the-art Foaly-grade device that apparently now transcends time and space, considering that a signal was established in an alternate world.

Foaly had figured that he would specifically gift her such a prized object due to the fact that Holly ends up in weird situations mingling with the Mudboy. Before she found the concern annoying. Now...well, let's leave it with relief and a deep sense of gratitude.

"At last, Captain Short! I–ehem, We have been worried sick!" Foaly sounded utterly elated as the comms slowly established a stronger and clearer connection, "Where in the entire Havens are you!? You three had been gone for a month!"

"A month!?" Holly squeaked quietly, "But it had been barely a week over here!"

"Im afraid time works differently, my dear" Foaly muttered sadly, the familiar tapping of the keyboard resounding in the background, "When we have lost touch, I waited for a full 12-hours until I assumed something went wrong. Worried something was amiss, I called for a scouting squad and my science team with me to investigate. It seems that the Gate had short-circuited and had a meltdown. I assumed the worst case scenario and that you've been stranded on an alternate world, unscathed and with your limbs attached I hope."

"We are fine, or as fine as being in trouble could be" Holly sighed as she recounted the events of the past week to Foaly.

"A world of gods and monsters, huh" Foaly wondered in deep curiosity, completely intrigued, "And you are saying that there is an alternate version of the People also in this world?"

"Yes, and apparently are in no good terms with their Artemis Fowl"

"Figures"

"No, as in they are so in bad terms, they would instigate a massacre to any collaborators under his name!"

"...Oh"

"We must think of a plan! So...wait" Holly shut down the comms and hid it on her person in time as someone removes the cover. It was an unknown LEPRecon officer, in full suit and mechanical wings. He seemed shocked for a moment then quickly calmed himself.

"Your hu...The Commander will see you now"