XXXIII: Honest Thoughts

What is this, a soap opera?

Minerva can't help but curse inside while they huddled around the capfire, A conspiracy, a forbidden romance, and the lover dies with the child? How did we go from mining resources to being smack in a middle of a mystery and conflicting faeries?

"So what is this 'Oath of Snakes' anyway? Why is this fact so important?" Minerva tried to distract herself with this question, though it came out sounding rather rude.

"...It's a sort of oath, you could say, that binds a person to a promise he/she had made to another" Root muttered while dispersing his men to guard the perimeter; Holly volunteered to look out for Trouble outside by another campfire, probably to take a breather or space.

"How is that different from the oath of the Book?"

"Well, the consequence of breaking it is...you die"

Yep, definitely a soap opera.

"But its more to it than that," Root sat down with an insightful gaze, "Unlike the Book, the magic that binds this promise...its ancient. Many have speculated that it was from a long lost race of faeries, or maybe a branch of our kin that disappeared, or maybe it could be older than out magic which is...not a great thought. Foaly thinks it was originally human magic, but that's just rubbish"

"Flattering," Minerva paused in thought before asking, "So, you're saying the Lady Artemis made this Oath of Snakes to Holly? This is your proof of her innocence?"

"I was a witness to it, yes" Root pulled out another cigar and lit a lighter, "Which was why I couldn't tell anyone, else I'd be killed by it to since I was the guarantee. Luckily all things have technicalities, and since 'Holly' asked, I was free to share hints without losing a limb. Still, I wouldn't risk anymore of my chances on that...and if you're wondering what she promised, I did tell you they were lovers"

The conversation died for awhile, letting the sound of crackling fire engross the damp cavern. A soldier would pass by now and then, but otherwise they were left in there thoughts.

Minerva held tightly on the ornament in her hand before speaking up again, "How...how close were Artemis and Holly? In this world, I mean"

"...ahh, they go a long way back," Root faintly grinned with a tinge of nostalgia, "They were enemies through and through ever since Lady Artemis kidnapped her for gold, 'a stain her career!' she'd call it with a laugh. Holly was the frontier on any case that would be linked to Artemis Fowl, and as time moves on and compromises slowly becoming more frequent, they were the best...erm, what you younglings call 'frenemy'? Yeah, probably like that"

"But when did they, like...hook up and stuff?"

"...Hrm, I don't know much, but it was during the time when they were having their last showdown with Opal Koboi, before the three somehow became friends. Something to do with a time paradox? Stuck in loop or something? They never shared the details much"

"Wait...Opal Koboi, their greatest foe...they became friends!?"

"I know! Didn't believe myself," Root shook the butt of his cigar before smoking another puff, "But, knowing Holly and her character, and Artemis being...well, Artemis–I was sure they wouldn't be fooled by tricks and thus I trusted their judgement...how wrong that was. Never before in my life had I regret being so right until that moment I saw Opal rise to the topmost rank...and placing all blame on Artemis Fowl. Hmph...some friend she turned out to be"

"Friend huh..." Minerva furrowed her brows while pondering on the new information, then seem to hit something, "Root, is there a faery base close to Manhattan, New York? And if so...how long would it take to initate a subjugation force?"