Seventy Five

Having to face Darcie at school the following week was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do

I should never have tried to kiss her at her place- or at all, really- but until I catch up with her and tell her just how sorry I am, the heavy sensation in my stomach wouldn't go away. I knew she was keeping her distance from me, too, because every time I saw her, she was with Lauren and that girl is like the gate keeper when it comes to Darcie Scott and me.  

"Where did you run off to during the party?" Owen asked Ritchie as we all sat down for lunch. The question had Harlan and me looking between the guys with interest, although for different reasons, I would guess. "You were there just before midnight and then you disappeared just after. Dude, you know better than to pull a Houdini act on me at parties. I cannot be left unattended."

Ritchie sent Owen an apologetic smile but he didn't attempt to answer the question. I wanted to hear the truth because I had my suspicions about where Ritchie may have ended up but until I hear it from him, I wasn't going to make accusations. 

Conversation flowed easily with the guys talking about their plans for the weekend. Harlan was going out on a date with his boyfriend, Ryker, and Owen was visiting his grandparents in the next town over, while Ritchie was discussing the pros and cons of staying at home and playing video games for the entire weekend. When it came to me, I was about to answer when I was rudely cut off by Mia. 

"Were you with Darcie after the party?" Her voice was accusatory as she addressed me. She was dressed in a short skirt that showed off her legs and her button up shirt wasn't exactly living up to its name seeing as not very many buttons were in fact made up. She had her hands on her hips and her hair was flipped back over her shoulder, making sure that there weren't any strands restricting her stare. "Answer the question, Nixon. Either you left with her or it was just a coincidence that you both vanished at the same time. I don't know how many more times I need to make it clear to everyone that you are mine and no one else's."

The cafeteria was silent as everyone turned to watch what was going on. To make matters worse, Mia had decided to pull this stunt right when Darcie and Lauren were walking across the room, meaning we all had a full view of Darcie. She looked like she wanted to be anywhere but here, the center of attention, and from the way her shoulders were rapidly moving up and down, I could tell that it was taking a lot of effort for her not to go postal on Mia. 

"Actually, Mia, I was the one that was with Darcie after the party," Ritchie's voice filled the silence. Pushing his chair from the table, he stood and looked directly at my girlfriend, his eyes not giving the game away. Not that it was a lie; I'm sure that he was speaking the truth and he didn't care who heard it. Not even Darcie's brother, Mr. Scott, who was in the cafeteria watching the spectacle unfolding. "I walked her home and stayed the night with her. Just like I've done a couple of times since football camp. I get that you're insecure in your relationship with Nixon but I'm very secure in mine with Darcie. Your jealousy and attitude are not appreciated. Now, if you'll excuse me," Ritchie continues, picking up his lunch tray and nodding to us all at the table. "I'll be having lunch with my girl today."