Forty-Seven

It was strange waking up without Darcie next to me

It was strange waking up without Darcie next to me. It struck me pretty quickly how stupid that was, especially seeing as it had only been a few of days since we arrived at camp and started bunking together. Still, when I woke up the morning after Darcie's revelation, my heart sunk at seeing the empty space next to me, where my arms grasped the thin air. 

My mind wandered as I stared at the space; where had she ended up sleeping? Had she slept at all? Did her head hurt? Did she regret telling me about her feelings? Would she really stop being my RG? What exactly did Harlan mean when he said that Darcie Scott was worth an infinite amount of Mia Carpenters?

None of this was making sense to me. Groaning, I flipped over onto my back and stared at the ceiling. I didn't want to get out of bed today. I'd drank quite a bit last night but I soon sobered up when Darcie announced that she was in love with me. Since then, her words have plagued me, haunting my sleep until I was startled awake every hour as I dreamed of a shadowy figure walking past me as a cold shiver took over my body. I'm sure that the dream was connected to the whole Darcie situation but I'd be damned if I knew what it all meant. 

"Hey, Nixon?" Ritchie's voice called from the door. Before I could even answer him, he barged into the cabin and fixed his worried gaze on me. When he saw that I was alone, his frown deepened. "Where'd Darcie?"

Sitting upright, I swing my legs over the side of the bed and get to my feet. "I think she's with Harlan and Lauren."

"Oh," my friend said. He shuffled awkwardly in the doorway, rubbing a hand at the back of his neck while his eyes roamed the cabin interior. "Uh, how did it end? With you and Darce?"

"Why are you asking?" I couldn't help but wonder. Ritchie had never been that interested in my relationships before and he certainly had never been this interested in Darcie Scott. I knew that his attention had been drawn to her in the past few days but he wasn't that curious before, so what's changed? "Let me guess, you're hoping now that I've rejected her, you might stand a chance?"

I knew that my accusation was out of line but I couldn't help my need to know what his fascination was with Darcie. Yes, she's beautiful and talented and funny in her own way, no one could deny that. It was always a given that she would turn someone's head. But Ritchie Davis? He was the biggest player going- worse than me, even. He's slept with more girls than there are seconds in a lifetime. He's an emotionless asshole that couldn't give a damn about a girl so long as he got what he wanted. Sex was the only thing on his mind and Darcie Scott deserved more than that. 

Darcie Scott deserved the world. And then some.