Seventy

The party was out of control by the time Mia and I arrived

The party was out of control by the time Mia and I arrived. We left the ice cream place about thirty minutes after Ritchie and Darcie but as we spotted them across the living room, those thirty minutes seemed a lot longer. Darcie was drinking, as was Ritchie. They were talking to Lauren and some other dude that hung off Lauren's words like they were gospel. Ritchie had his arm around Darcie's shoulder and she fit into the crook of his arm perfectly. 

Ignoring the jealousy that built up in my chest, I went to the kitchen to grab a drink, leaving Mia to gossip with her friends. I took a bottle of some European beer and drained half the bottle in three gulps. Some guy that had walked in stared at me, laughed and shook his head, and then left. The kitchen was quieter than the rest of the place but I could still hear the noise of the music. A song with a heavy beat was playing and it gave me a headache. Taking another bottle, I slip out the door that leads to the back yard and sit in peace.

Ever since camp, my mind has been all over the place. I get what Mia says about her being insecure but I've never given her any reason to think that I would be unfaithful. Although Darcie is my RG, nothing will happen between us. She's pretty loved up with Ritchie anyhow.

"No, I don't want to do it!" A familiar voice protests as I hear the patio door open and then close. Looking sideways, I see Ritchie leading Darcie outside, quickly followed by Owen, Harlan, some guy I don't recognize and Lauren. Oh and Mia and some of her girlfriends. "Ritchie, I am not doing it. Ryker, back me up here!"

The guy that had followed Harlan out the door shook his head. "I think it's a great idea. We could do the short routine we've been practicing these past few weeks. Come on, Darcie, it'll be fun."

I watched as Darcie gave up protesting and agreed to whatever it was they forced her into doing. Ryker stepped forward and took his shirt off while Darcie removed her cheer leader skirt, leaving her in her shorts and cheer top. Ryker walked up to her and placed his hands on her waist, sliding his hands down to her hips before nodding. 

Music began to play from someone's phone, a song that I didn't know, but as soon as it started, Ryker and Darcie moved. Darcie spun into his arms before she was lifted off the floor and somehow after a lightning flash move, she cartwheeled in his arms and landed on the ground. Her moves were fluid, fast and precise, while Ryker took great care with her in his arms. 

I held my breath for some of the moves they pulled, not least when Darcie had to balance in the sky with only her arm on Ryker's shoulder and his arm on her hip holding her up there. I was amazed by how much flexibility and athleticism was involved in the dance and from the way the others watched, I could tell that they were in awe too. 

To end, there was an aerial move before Ryker set Darcie down and began to walk away. Then the applauds began. The only ones who didn't join in were Mia and me. She was too preoccupied with running back indoors with an unimpressed scowl on her face while my focus was on the way Ritchie stared at Darcie and how she returned the look. 

Yeah, he was definitely going to chase after her. The only problem is, she may just let him catch her.