Sixty Three

The rest of the week went horribly

The rest of the week went horribly. Mia still wasn't talking to me and despite having a game on Friday night, I avoided Darcie as much as I could. Of course, my other friends hung out with her and kept her company seeing as Darcie and Mia continued their frostiness, although it was mainly Ritchie who sat with Darcie at lunch, walked her to classes, and drove her home after school.

Even though it was now Friday morning and I'd seen Ritchie meet Darcie at her locker every morning this week, it bugged the hell out of me. The first game of the season was tonight and my RG hadn't done anything to help me prepare for it. Lauren was going all out on getting Harlan psyched for it, Mel Perry had decorated Wes Bryant's locker, and even Olivia Gardener made cupcakes for Frasier McNeil, making it all the more obvious that I was Darcie's last priority.  

"Hey," I said as I walked over to Darcie's locker. Her conversation with Ritchie ended abruptly and I couldn't help but think that I was the topic of their gossip. It was all but confirmed when they sneaked a look at one another and I saw Darcie bite down on her bottom lip. "Ritchie, do you mind? O need to talk with my Rally Girl."

"Darcie," Ritchie practically growled. For a moment I thought he was talking to her but his eyes were narrowed on me. I frowned in confusion. "Her name is Darcie. She's a person, not a possession. I have to get to class. I'll catch up with you later, Darce."

It didn't pass me by that Ritchie had called her by the same nickname I'd used. The one Darcie had told me not to use anymore. The girl before me smiled at Ritchie and waved him off. When she turned back to me, the genuine grin had vanished, replaced by a tight grimace that showed how forced it was.

"Hello, Nixon," she spoke, no emotion in her voice. "What can I do for you?"

"Be my Rally Girl?" I sarcastically posed as an answer. If she'd been more personable, I wouldn't be acting like an asshole to her but this week, Darcie had been MIA, which is exactly what I told her.

She scoffed. "I'm the one that's been missing in action? You've ignored me the whole week and now that you've got a game coming up tonight, you suddenly need me? Bullshit, Nixon. You don't call and I come running. If that's the type of RG you want, I can find a replacement. I'm here to support you but I need support too. It's been hell this week dealing with all the whispers but what did you do? Nothing!"

"What does that have to do with football?" I questioned. "And I told Mia that nothing happened between us. What more do you want?"

She glared at me, slamming her locker shut. From the way she was biting down on her lip, I could tell she was  holding back a retort but just as I thought she wasn't going to say anything, she turned to me and sighed. "I'll be your RG, Nixon. I'll decorate your locker, I'll back you cookies, I'll cheer for you from the sideline and post all over social media how great you played but that's it. You know, I used to defend you when people told me that I was stupid to like you but I can see now that they were right. You're an asshole."

She walked away.