Twenty-One

Lauren evicted us from the cheer team's practice not long after we witnessed Darcie's gravity defying flips, telling us that we had outstayed our welcome

Lauren evicted us from the cheer team's practice not long after we witnessed Darcie's gravity defying flips, telling us that we had outstayed our welcome. Ritchie had protested, naturally, shouting things like, 'Darcie, I love you!' as a few of the male cheer members menacingly approached us. They weren't as scary in comparison to Darcie, who graphically told Ritchie where to stick his love. 

"That was mean," my friend muttered as the door slammed behind us. Never one to let things get him down, Ritchie beamed at us and said, "Let's go to the lake, relax a little before our training starts. Hey, did any of you pay attention to my RG, Tayla? Man, it's a good thing I'm not sharing a cabin with Rally Girl otherwise football would not be my focus this week."

Following the others down to the lake, I kept replaying the words Ritchie had said not even five minutes ago. I think I've just majorly fallen in love with Darcie Scott. While I wasn't Darcie's biggest fan personally, she is my RG and I don't want anyone messing with her head because that would affect me in a round about way. What if he had fallen for her, and then she falls for him, and then he treats her like he treats all the other girls and then she gets heartbroken and then she quits the cheer teams and then we've got to end up back in therapy with Nicole?

No, I'm going to have to remind Ritchie of Darcie's advice on where to stick his 'love' for her. 

"Football better be your focus this week," Owen warns our friend. Arriving at the lake, we all kick off our shoes and sit at the edge of the pier, dipping our feet into the lukewarm water. "You know the rules, the RGs are off limits, Ritchie."

We spent the rest of the afternoon lazing around the lake, discussing tactics for this year, as well as having to listen to Owen declare his undying love for my sister once again. Larkyn has been Owen's ideal women since puberty kicked in but my heartless sister has never acknowledged his undying love for her. Not that he's been forthcoming with his affections, either. While I wasn't thrilled that my friend had fallen for my sister, there were worst people that she could potentially date. For example, Ritchie.

"Cheer practice is over" Harlan announced after his cell buzzed. "Dinner will be soon so we better head back."

It took almost fifteen minutes to get back to the cabin. When I pushed the door open, I saw Darcie lying on the floor, her body stock still with her arms at her side. "Are you dead?" I asked jokingly.

"At least I look how I feel," Darcie grumbled. One of her eyes opened and looked up at me. "I now remember why I gave up cheer in the first place. Man, I am so out of shape."

I scoffed. "I highly doubt that. Are you coming for dinner?"

"I can't," Darcie grimaced when she moved the slightest. "I'm too sore to get up. I'm not even that hungry. I'll eat tomorrow, it's cool."

I nodded and made for the door, stealing a glance at her where she still lay on the floor. Despite her stating that she wasn't hungry, I knew she was. Darcie will always say something is 'cool' when really, it was the furthest from being cool. 

"Do you have any food allergies?" I find myself enquiring. She turns her face my way and shakes her head. "I'll bring something back for you, then. See you later, Darce."