Fifty Eight

The bus ride home from camp was awkward

The bus ride home from camp was awkward. We were all hungover but that hardly mattered when all I kept thinking about was how Darcie and Ritchie had been together last night. The shitty remake of Dirty Dancing was bad enough but did they really have to end it with kissing each other?

Looking over at where Darcie sat- this time in the aisle seat of the bus- I frowned. She was in her usual jean shorts and t-shirt combination, white Chucks on her feet that accentuated her tan, and a pair of sunglasses covering her eyes. Her legs stretched across the aisle, balancing on Ritchie's knee as he sat opposite her. He had an arm casually slung over her calf, his fingers grazing her skin as they both slept. 

They'd been sat like this since we set off. Once we were seated, they fell asleep, so as far as I know, they haven't discussed what that kiss meant to them. After the lip smacking in the lake, Darcie had commented that she wasn't feeling well and retreated back to the cabin with Lauren, who was equally drunk. Ritchie continued to party, even going so far as to flirt with other girls. I took that to mean that Darcie didn't mean all that much to him, and I found that this realization irked me. I mean, if you had someone like Darcie Scott in your life, you don't go and mess it up by being with someone else. That would just be stupid.

When we all met up this morning for breakfast, our hangovers were unbearable. No one could hold their heads up for long enough to even mutter 'good morning' so having a full blown conversation was out of the question. Now that most of the people on the bus were asleep, things were quiet. 

"You awake?" Darcie's soft voice spoke. For a moment, I thought that she was talking to Ritchie but when her hand hit against mine, I looked up at her from behind my own sunglasses. Darcie smiled, albeit, tightly. "Morning."

"Hey," I smile just as tightly back. Motioning my head at how her body was stretched out, I asked, "Comfy there?"

Darcie shrugged. "I've slept worse," she noted. "I've also slept better. Man, I cannot wait until we get back home. I seriously miss my bed and no offence, but I am going to be so glad that I don't have to share it with you- or anyone- anymore."

"No offence taken. I know what you mean, I like having my bed all to myself, too," I joke with her. Suddenly, the awkwardness dissipated and our conversation came naturally. Of course, if there was any way of messing up this harmony, I was sure to find it, and I did. "I don't think it's a good idea that we tell Mia about us having to share a room, you know."

Darcie didn't say anything, she simply nodded her head and turned her body to face the aisle again. Her body shrank in on itself, her shoulders becoming a wall built between us, telling me that I wasn't welcome in her space anymore. 

In a way, I guess I wasn't. She was closing me out and opening herself up to Ritchie, instead.