Chapter 7: Mysteries and Moonlight

Start from the beginning

"So...in other words, he's...strong...but not as strong as a real dragon... and too much use of his power at once might be...hazardous to his health?" I asked.

"Precisely," John replied, "And that's why we need you, Ace. You're our secret weapon."

After a good 20 minutes or so of assuring John I was perfectly fine, not that he personally cared because business was business, I was deposited just past the forest. When I got home I found a note from Borgos saying that he'd gone out to the gym, and would be back later tonight. I unceremoniously tossed my bag onto my bed, and glanced at my clock.

It read 6:02pm, Friday.

Crap! That left only 28 minutes for me to get cleaned up before Clarissa came over. I frantically dug into my closet and pulled out a pair of jeans with a hole in the right knee, and a black Metallica shirt. I dashed into the shower, and washed my hair. By the time I got out I only had about 10 minutes, so I quickly ate two cheese and tomato sandwiches. The doorbell rang just as I finished gulping down a liter of water. Stuffing my wallet and cell phone into my pocket, I jogged to the door and flung it open, nearly doing a double-take in the process.

Clarissa was wearing a red blouse and a wavy black skirt that fell just above her knees. Her long and curly black hair hung loose in waves down her back.

"You okay, Ace?" She asked me, raising an eyebrow.

I quickly re-composed myself and muttered a, "yeah," before stepping into the hall and locking the door.

"You don't have to come if you don't want to you, know. You look a little ...flushed?

"Flushed? Me? Ah, no I was just uhh...working out a bit before." I replied, feeling myself redden a little more. "Besides, I've wanted to see a movie for a while."

All the way to the theatre I kept reminding myself that we were just two friends going to a movie, and that was all.

So why couldn't I stop thinking of her as more than a friend?

The theatre was packed when we got there, which was understandable, considering it was a Friday night. Clarissa and I got a large popcorn to split (since it cost just as much as two smalls). I also got a large coke, and she, a medium iced tea. I was actually surprised at the movie she'd gotten tickets for; an action movie, with a twist of romance and horror. Apparently it was about an assassin who is hired to kill this princess and falls for her and then realizes he's really working on the wrong side (they want to destroy the world).

Clarissa chose to sit in a seat near the back, where there weren't as many people. In fact, our row and the row in front of us were completely isolated. Throughout the previews we whispered about the different movies we wanted to see, and occasionally asked each other questions regarding our art project (which was due on Tuesday, ughhh...).

The people John hired to do my homework better be good, because if we don't get an A she'll freak, I thought, and then almost laughed when I remembered that homework was the least of my problems now.

Once the movie started neither of us talked much, but a few times our hands met in the popcorn, and then we'd both pull back abruptly. Quit it Ace, I scolded myself, She's a genius, she's pretty, and you have no chance with her; especially with your new 'part-time' job...

The movie was good, but every so often I'd steal glances at her, and try my best not to think about her anymore. Once, during a particularly gory part of the film, she left her hand in the popcorn bag, as if distracted. Most girls would have flinched or squeaked, but she just sat there. I guess smart girls weren't really afraid of a little blood.