Chapter 6: My First Mission is... in a Volcano?

It had been about two weeks since my 'visit' with John and his stuck-up secret agent mumbo-jumbo. Clarissa, Borgos, and my teachers had believed my lie that I was sick and had decided to take an off day. I hadn't been thinking too much about these missions I was supposed to embark on, but the thought had always been lingering in my mind like some poltergeist. Other than my conscious haunting me, life continued on as usual...

...Until the day that the creepy cell-phone-like device, which I realized had been nicknamed the Z-Phone for some dumb reason, had a message:

Ace, this is John. We've located the first of the 5 stones on an island and we would like you to retrieve it immediately. A chopper will be waiting just past the forest at exactly 4am tomorrow morning. We've already arranged for someone to do your homework for you, and an excuse for your absence at school. Judging by our display of power the last time we met, we think this mission should take only 3-4 days. Bring only what you will need, and tell no one.

I sighed and flipped the Z-Phone back onto my bed. As I began packing some clothes, I comically wondered why there was no, 'this message will self-destruct in 10 seconds,' at the end of the text. 20 minutes later I'd packed some clothes, my toothbrush, hairbrush, and other essentials. I was just wondering how I was going to explain all this to Borgos when I heard a knock at the door. It was too early for Borgos to be back from his walk, so I hadn't a clue who it might be.

Nonetheless, I opened the door and was greeted by Clarissa's bright smile.

"Hey, Ace. How goes it?"

"Uhh, good...?" I said.

"Cool. One of my friends was supposed to go with me to a movie this weekend, but she called me today and said she's sick. I have an extra ticket, so I was wondering if you'd like to go with me. Oh, it's on Friday at 7pm by the way."

I mentally counted down the days, today was Sunday, and then if I left 4 days for my mission that would mean I'd be back probably early Friday, or late Thursday...

"Sure, I'll meet you outside your dorm at 6:30pm on Friday and we can walk over to the theater then." I said, trying my best to tell myself that this wasn't a date, and just two friends going to see a movie together.

"Cool, thanks Ace. I'll see you on Friday then, later!" Clarissa said, giving me a quick hug and then walking off towards the girls' dormitories.

I don't know how long I stood in the doorway grinning like an idiot as soon as she'd left, but a harsh cold shock snapped me back to reality.

"What the hell!" I yelled, realizing some sod had thrown water over my head and I was now soaking wet.

My outburst was followed by my idiot roommate's obnoxious laughter and banter of, "Hey Ace, you looked so red I thought you might blow up. So, I decided to cool ya down with some water!"

"Blimey Borgos, you're an arrogant sod now aren't you?" I growled, grabbing a towel from the bathroom and attempting to dry off my hair.

"Ace's going on a date! Ace's going on a date!"

"Shut up! How much did you even overhear!?" I shouted.

"Enough to know you're in loveeee," Borgos chanted, batting his eyes and skipping around the room.

I threw the towel at Borgos, and we ended up having a huge towel fight. I was the most fun we'd had all week.

Well hell, maybe this week wouldn't be so bad after all now that I had Friday to look foreword too, right?