7. Clouded Judgement

Start from the beginning

Tom laughed, "Dude. I'm kidding, lighten up. It's fine, relax, it's not like we're at a pub. You're at my house. Relax, Costanza."

"Still," I said, crossing my arms.

"Good golly, Costanza! Why are you so innocent? It's just a cheeky sip of beer! I'm 20 and I'm doing it!"

I gave Tom a funny look. "Okay, but you're Tom. I'm Zara. I don't break rules like you," I said in a mocking-ish tone to him.

"For heaven's sake! It's your 20th! Bend a rule or two! Does a sip of beer hurt that much?"

I groaned and clenched my teeth together. "I'll probably regret this tomorrow."

Tomorrow, I'd wake up with a throbbing headache and feeling guilty, but I decided that I'd deal with that tomorrow. "After a beer, I'll be tipsy. If I end up having more, please do make sure I don't do anything stupid."

"Okay, if you say so. I'll throw you into the pool if you're being crazy and maybe you'll snap out of it a bit."

"We'll see. But if I drown, that's on you, Holland!" I playfully punched his shoulder as we both laughed.

Harrison came back with the drinks. He handed me mine and Tom's his. I thanked Harrison and began to sip on my cold drink. Chills ran down through my spine as I tasted the bitter alcohol. I haven't had alcohol in months. In December, my mom gave me champagne during New Years'. I forgot how bitter it tasted.

"I'm going to go find some more people!" I announced, leaving the two boys. I moved my way past several bodies saying hello or hi to people that had called my name. I found Jacob, Laura, Tony, and Zendaya together, all four of them dancing.

I took a sip of my beer. "May I join?"

The four of them expanded their circle for me to join. We all danced and drank for another hour. Of all of us, Laura probably drank the most; she had an exquisite taste in alcohol.

"I-I feel so good right now," Laura said in a drowsy tone. It was quite funny because I had never seen her have this many drinks.

"Tell that to me tomorrow morning," said Jacob. Tony and Jacob probably had one or two drinks within the past hour. Zendaya didn't drink at all.

"I-I think I need to s-sit down. I think I've lost track," I said, the alcohol partially taking over.

"Aww, you're so cute! You're such a baby, you've only gone through two beers. I think I've had probably 4-5 shots and a few beers. But you know what, I'm going to come with you before I, fall on my face," said Laura. The two of us stumbled to an empty couch and sat down.

I laid my head on the couch and bobbed my head to the music. I recognized the song that was playing, even in my drunk state.

A song that Harrison, Tom, and Jacob always danced to came on. It was hilarious because it was this one song that they'd all film themselves dancing to and post it on one of their social media accounts. I spotted the three of them together laughing very hard and were jamming out like crazy to the song. Laura and I both watched and laughed at the three boys.

After the song ended, I went to get another drink. I then rejoined Laura. She stared at the substance which I held. "Is that another beer?"

I downed the rest of the drink quickly. "Y-Yes ma'am," I answered. My vision began to blur a little and I felt a little disoriented. It was like I was a whole new person.