Burn in Water, Drown in Fire ~37~ Give Me Your Eyes

Start from the beginning

***

Girls. Girls and punk boys congratulated Zac for his graduation and I had snuck away to go with my friends.

“Morning,” I said to Lulu and Lacy as they ate the school’s breakfast.

“Good morning,” Lacy greeted. I looked to Lulu. She said nothing as I sat down.

“Where’s Mr. Graduate?” Lulu asked.

“Inside being, well, Mr. Graduate,” I somehow joked.

“Wow. You’ve gone out for a day and he already ignores you,” Lacy laughed as if she was about to say “I told you so”.

“He’s not ignoring her,” Lulu said. “He just…didn’t notice she left.”

“That’s better,” I nodded, sarcastically and then rolled my eyes. Lulu and I shared a smile and I started to think that maybe she wouldn’t hate me being with Zac because he was starting to treat me like he had treated her. “And I’m not even going out with him.”

“Ouch,” a new voice expressed. I looked up and saw it to be…Zac. He had his backpack on that probably had tons of cards and letters from his adoring girls.

“Well you know it’s—”

“We’ve kissed, hugged, held hands; I’ve drove you to school, I’ve walked you to your locker and carried your things,” he listed for some reason. “H3ll, you’re wearing my clothes.”

So that’s why I didn’t recognize the track pants…

“So what?”

“We’re going out,” he replied.

“Yeah, right,” Lulu or maybe Lacy hissed beneath their breath. When I looked over, both of their heads snapped down.

“Come here,” Zac said, holding his hand out to me. I took it and sighed as I followed him away from the girls.

“What; your crowd died down?” I asked with a slight bit of humor.

“No…” he answered. “Your presence was the only one missing that I cared about.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Bulls—”

“Stop,” he interrupted. “Stop trying to tear me down like I’m acting.”

“You are.”

“I’m not!” he yelled.

“You are—” I bit my own tongue, knowing that I shouldn’t let my anger get the best of me. Maybe I should’ve told him that, because I wasn’t the only one getting frustrated. His beautiful eyes from earlier had changed into burning amber. I knew enough that it meant he was getting mad and when he was mad, he produced fire. I cringed at the word and then he grabbed my waist and pulled me into him.

“Don’t be afraid of me,” he whispered by my ear. The school bell rang and students started to pile out, so I started to pull away. Only, he didn’t allow me. “Angel, please.”

“I’m not afraid of you,” I lied, looking him in the eyes. They were now black and slowly starting to outline in dark blue.

“Don’t lie to me,” he hissed. They softened and then changed to green. “I’m never ever gonna hurt you, Angel.”

I had to believe him. Ever since the fire, all he’s done is saved me. But the fear and existence of fire still scared me. Even in the past six months without him, all I dreamt about was flames and the possibility of Zac using his powers on me for his own sick amusement. How was it possible to believe him, but still be afraid?