"O, where's Ly?" Mika yawned. She looked like she did not have that much of sleep as well and then Den remembered Kim teasing Mika about her fear of hospital ghosts. 

"I don't know. She didn't tell me much about her plans today. Wala ba sa office?"

"No, she said she can't go to work today so I have to be at the office."

"Oh... I thought pumasok siya since she left early." Dennise mulled. "Anyway, Kim and Ara still think they are eight-year old kids and they won't probably be attending work today. Will you be okay?"

"No problem. Tinapos talaga nila mga gagawin nila the other week pa so they could drink hard on Alyssa's birthday." Mika gestured her a thumbs up followed by another yawn. "Ikaw, will you be fine here?"

"Yeah. You can go na, ako na bahala. Thank you, Mika. Ingat."

"I'll tell you when Aly's in the office or kung nasaan man siya ngayon." Mika kissed her friend on the cheek. "I'll get Kim and Ara to join you later once they are sober na."

Den reached out and squeezed her arm. "Thank you for everything."

"You are like a sister to me, Den. Please don't mention it. I got you, okay."

Dennise beamed out gratefully. She lead Mika out of the door and closed it quietly after her. She brought out her paperback from her bag and settled on the couch. She was starting to get drowsy but knew better than to have another cup of coffee, her third one this day and it was not even twelve noon yet.

"Ly...?" The brittle voice of Laura caught the attention of Dennise. The latter peered over her paperback. She was not sure if she was calling for Alyssa or was just calling for her name in her sleep which she usually does lately. "Alyssa..."

Dennise folded the book close and observed Laura. She was fumbling with the cover, unsure of how she should act when Laura wakes up.

"Aly..." Laura's voice was suddenly hinted with urgency alarming the other girl in the room. Dennise stood on her feet to check Laura. "Ly?"

"Laura?"

"Alyssa?"

"No..." Dennise shifted her weight to her left foot and stood there beside the bed in an awkward manner.  "Alyssa's not here." 

Probably hearing a voice that did not belong to the person she was looking for, Laura opened her eyes slowly. A more petite girl stood beside her was looking more confused than she was.

"Den?" Laura squinted her eyes which were momentarily blinded by the sun rays beaming through the glass windows. "Dennise?"

"At your service..." Dennise managed to giggle.  "Do you need anything? Are you in pain? Should I call the nurse?"

Laura hesitated but knowing how helpless she was with her immobilized limbs, she proceeded to ask.

"My mouth... feels dry." 

"Oh, of course..." Dennise made sure Laura was comfortable lying back against the reclined hospital bed before she went to pour her glass with water. She returned with a tender smile on her lips. "Careful... there..."

"Thank you, Dennise..." Laura handed the glass back to Dennise. She looked around the room and found no Alyssa. She felt the urge to ask Dennise but decided to keep it to herself.

"How about lunch? Gutom ka na ba?"

"I am, I think..."

"Okay, I'll call the staff. Do you prefer your own choice of meal or the special diet they pre-selected for you?"