29

29 

Alyssa never skips work on Monday. So when she phoned Rina and told her she could not be in the office to join the team, it came absurd to her assistant. Alyssa would always come, healthy or not. It was even more absurd that Alyssa would allow herself to miss the second quarter meeting.

Alyssa was in no state to function. She went home just before the sun rose from the east. She was disoriented, pathetic and desperate. She needed to see Dennise. So she called her and pleaded that she come and see her at once. Alyssa sounded urgent over the phone and it worried Dennise that she would not state her exact reasons. 

After two more hours of agonizing, Alyssa threw herself at Dennise who barely just had stepped inside her unit. 

"Den," she firmly enclosed Dennise in her arms. She breathed in her scent and made sure she had it memorized. "I missed you."

"What's wrong, Alyssa?"

"I just missed you."

"There's no emergency?" Dennise rubbed her girlfriend's back to let her know that everything was okay now that she was already with her. "Will you let me in first?"

"Of course," Alyssa smiled. She took Den's bag and her hand in the other. Dennise tipped her head to the side in confusion. "What?"

"You're holding my hand." Dennise gaze thoughtfully at their hands. "I won't go anywhere, Ly."

"I missed you this much, ayokong bitawan ka even for a second." Alyssa squeezed her hand lightly. "Now, come on. I'll fix our breakfast."

"Is everything really okay, hon? You look like mess. Did you even sleep?"

The sharp pang of guilt pummeled her chest. She averted her gaze somewhere and even if she already has decided of letting Dennise know where she stayed for the weekend, in the last minute, she figured she could not let her know. She could not bring herself to be honest with her even if they promised that no matter what, they will remain honest. 

"It hurts to sleep."

"Why?"

"It hurts to sleep alone." Alyssa conjured all her remaining strength to pose a smile. 

"You've been crying, Alyssa." Dennise mused.

"Den, I am okay. And you know what else I am right now?" Alyssa breathed out for a dramatic pause. "I'm hungry."

Dennise jabbed her grumbling stomach playfully. "Let's cook then."

After their breakfast and a cold shower, they settled in bed and agreed to watch a good movie Alyssa picked out. But they were not even halfway through when Alyssa felt her eyelids heavy. It did not help that Dennise was playing with her hair. The last thing she remembered was her girlfriend's eyes- which also were the first hues that she saw. 

"Wimp." Dennise pushed the tip of her nose. "You fell asleep."

"No shit?" Alyssa grinned before Dennise gave her side a pinch. "Ouch."