20

20

Dennise woke up from the loud baseball game audience. She blinked her eyes twice before rubbing both with her fists. She glanced at the other side of the bed but then she was reminded of Alyssa's text message that she would not be home for the night.

Dennise sighed and reached for the TV remote control from the nightstand. She turned the TV off before she could even figure out how the hell she ended up watching a sports program.

Her head ached a little as she got on her feet. She pulled the blinds open and let the sun rays enter the room. She found her phone underneath the sheets of the bed, dove for it, only to end up disappointed after receiving no messages or calls from her girlfriend.

She stared at Alyssa's name on her phone long enough to strain her eyes while she had a careful deliberation on whether she should call Alyssa at six in the morning. She decided otherwise, deeming the other had a long night working for today's afternoon convention and was needing every second of rest she could get.

Dennise left a miss you message for her instead.

This particular week of July really has been the busiest so far and Dennise has no idea how to put herself in Alyssa's schedule.

Alyssa would come home late and exhausted that she could not even join Dennise at the dining table but would never be too tired to work on the partnership's financial assessment, marketing plans, budgeting and comprehensive reviews all night long.

And yet, Dennise knew that she was in no position to complain and demand after Alyssa had made it known to her about the partnership's predicament. The operating expenses for the seven branches, management of employees, creditors and competitors had lead the general partners to a resolution of involving more capital investors in the partnership. The presentation and reports Alyssa and the team have been working on since then for the conference will be their key to get people invest in the partnership.

After making up the bed neatly, Dennise went to the kitchen and looked for something to cook in the pantry only to find loaf bread, fruits, cereals and a pancake mix. Skipping caffeine for today and since Alyssa was not there to make her her favorite coffee blend nor to show disapproval over her lazy breakfast, Dennise dumped cereals in an empty bowl then she poured fresh milk. She brought her breakfast with her on the lounge, turned the TV on to catch the morning news, and ate.

*

Alyssa was in front of her mirror, tucking her white blouse inside her skirt. She studied herself for another minute before she worked on the folds of her sleeves.

Three knocks came before her door slowly opened. Rina, her reliable aide, poked her head in.

"Ready na raw po si Ms. Mika..." She informed.

"Yeah, I'll see her in a few. Si Ara ba?"

"She's on her way to the hotel na rin, Miss Ly."

"Traffic ba?"

"Hindi naman po." Rina shook her head lightly. "Oo nga po pala, may tumatawag kaninang nagbibihis po kayo. Hindi niyo raw po sinasagot 'yung phone niyo."

"Shit," Alyssa immediately ran to her table in search for her phone. "Was it Den? Nasaan na 'yun? I forgot to tell her I already had lunch!"

"But you didn't have lunch yet, Ms. Ly..."

"Well, I forgot to tell her my lie. Or that I will have lunch during the conference na lang. Si Dennise ba 'yun? And where the hell is my damn phone?" She flipped through the files and folders but found nothing.