33

33

The good news has reached the couple- Laura just recovered from coma. However, the latter still needs ample recovery and monitoring hence she has to stay in the ICU until it is necessary before she will be allowed to move in a private room.

Alyssa quietly entered the unit towing after the nurse. She sat on the chair at the bedside and stared at the frail body of Laura. Her face embattled with stitches and bruises contorts in pain every time she breathes or every time her fractured ribs move the slightest. Her eyes were shut close but she was not peacefully asleep- although she does pretend every time Alyssa visits her.

This is no different than the other days Alyssa sits quietly beside her.

"I know you are not asleep." Alyssa placed her palm on top of Laura's hand which twitched ever so slightly from the contact. She waited for the patient's response but only the low vibratory sound of the machines attached to her flesh answered. "Are we still playing this game?"

Alyssa patiently let a minute or two pass by while she drew circles on Laura's hand. However when she realized the wait was futile, she sighed and just decided to give up. "Okay, Lau. You win tonight but bukas, babalik uli ako. Take a good rest, Laura."

She kissed her forehead lightly before she told the nurse she was leaving. She kept a straight face as she headed out of the door and if only she turned around, she would have seen Laura following her with her eyes brimming with tears.

Dennise was not at home yet when Alyssa arrived. All that welcomed her was her empty condo unit and a note on the kitchen counter scribbled neatly: I am with a friend, will be home for dinner- Dennise. The note probably explains the two calls from Dennise that she missed while she was in the hospital. 

After her warm shower, she headed to her room to change into her comfortable top and pajamas. Dennise was not home yet so Alyssa took the chance to search through her girlfriend's files for a particular envelope. She sighed in relief when she got hold of the envelope with all of Den's documents for the Augustine exchange program in it. It was good to know that her girlfriend has not disposed of her dream to be a part of the program in Singapore yet. Now, Alyssa has only about a week to convince Dennise to participate in the rare opportunity and reach another milestone in her academic run. 

Alyssa cooked adobo for dinner as they did not have much of grocery supplies left in the pantry. Grocery tomorrow, she noted mentally as she prepared the table. Her girlfriend was already cruising the stretch of Shaw when she last called her half an hour ago. She should be here any minute soon.

"Ly?"

Alyssa smiled almost automatically when she heard that voice. 

"Here."

Den's heels clicked on the floor. 

"Sorry. Traffic sa crossing." 

She kicked her sandals off her feet and draped her cardigan on the chair. She tiptoed to kiss Alyssa. She tasted wine on her lips and glared at her disapprovingly- she could handle Alyssa drinking but not without her!

"I was calling you pero hindi ka sumasagot eh so I just left a note. Akala ko mauuna akong makauwi. How is she?" 

"I left my phone in the car eh. She's okay. She was sleeping though nung binisita ko." 

She was pretending to be asleep.

"Good to know."

"Let's eat, hon?"