16

16

Justine scurried inside her Ate Den's car, closing the door after her. 

"Jus, did you?!" Dennise demanded accusingly, her eyes pinning on Justine.  

"What? No! Why would I do that?!" Her sister replied forehead creased in a dismayed manner. "Ate naman. Bakit ko gagawin sa inyo 'yun?"

"I don't know! God," Dennise vented out as she pounded on the steering wheel. "Paano niya nalaman?!"

"Hindi ko nga alam. Basta last night while we were having dinner... tinanong ako ni Dad. He asked me if you are seeing someone and of course, I lied. Sinabi ko na hindi ko alam at hindi pa naman tayo nagu-usap tungkol doon," her sister relayed calmly. She held and rubbed Den's arm to sooth her. "Tapos si Dad, he didn't look convinced tapos bigla nalang niyang naitanong si Ate Alyssa."

"Bakit niya kilala si Alyssa?"

"Hindi ko rin talaga alam, Ate."

"Anong sinabi niya about kay Ly?"

"Kung sino raw ba siya? And I did not want to look too obvious, ate kaya para matapos na 'yung usapan, sinabi ko na lang na you guys are good friends at 'yun lang ang alam ko. I am sorry, Ate. Hindi ko rin talaga alam."

"So alam na niya?"

"Yes, Ate. Alam ko na alam na ni Dad," Jus said. "Let's go. They are waiting."

Dennise started the engine of her car again then she cruised two streets down before they arrived in front of their house. Justine got out of the car to open the gates and let Den's car in the driveway. Dennise parked beside the family SUV. Her heart could burst of panic and anxiousness but she kept herself in control. 

Justine knocked on her window to remind her that they had to go. Dennise followed Justine inside their house and she could not help but to feel a little funny. She grew up in the same house in Paranaque. This was her home and will always be her home and yet, for the first time in her life, the soles of her feet felt uncomfortable against the cold tiles. 

She was met by her younger brother and her Mom's blank face. She greeted them with kisses then her eyes roamed around, looking for her dad.

"M-Mom?" 

  Her mom shook her head in disappointment, making Den's eyes tear up. She has never seen her mom this disappointed at her. Not when she almost failed one of her major subjects in college. Not when she broke up with Myco. Not when they got in a petty fight few years back then.

"Bring your things to your room. Dad should be here in any moment." Her mom instructed her before she busied herself with arranging flowers in the vase again.

Sensing that her mom would not talk to her about it yet, Dennise just did what she was told to do. She climbed up the stairs then she walked to her room.

Her room was supposed to be her comfort. She has always loved going home to their family house but today, she wished to be somewhere else. 

She removed her clothes before she entered the bathroom for a warm bath to at least, calm her nerves. Her phone was ringing but she decided to ignore it. She knew it was Alyssa. She has not talked to her yet since they parted this morning and all she told her was that she has to be home for their usual family dinner. She did not inform her about her Dad nor the sticky situation she was now in. She did not want to get Alyssa into her own predicament even if she knew it would be impossible.