23

23

Alyssa slowed down almost to a stop without her realizing it.

"Hon?" Alyssa snapped out of it as soon as she heard Den's voice. She stared at her feet and wondered why her knees were suddenly weak. "Is everything all right?"

"Of course, love." Alyssa let go of a deep sigh but nevertheless, she smiled reassuringly.

"Okay." She stared at Alyssa in her kimono dress then she returned a smile. "You look beautiful."

"You too. Let's go?"

"Sure." She offered her hand which Alyssa gladly kissed and held onto.

The couple met up with Rina first before the three entered the restaurant.

Each step nearing their reserved table was an effort for Alyssa. She had the whole night to prepare herself, or at least, remind herself that she cannot get affected anymore but just the thought that she would be seated at the same table with her was enough to turn her into someone she once was.

"There is Ms. Lehmann," Rina informed with a little regret in her voice that she had to do the introduction as if Laura and Alyssa were perfect strangers.

"Where's Kim? I couldn't reach her phone."

"Baka ma-late raw po siya, Ma'am Ly. But she was already in Ayala nang tinawagan ko siya kanina."

"Who chose this place?"

"Si Miss Laura po."

"Well, of course." Alyssa shrugged. Of course, seafood is Laura's favorite, she considered.

"Hello, everyone." Laura greeted with the same vibrant smile in Alyssa's memories.

She would not allow herself but her heart ached at the sound of Laura's voice.

"Sorry, Ms. Laura. Kanina pa po ba kayo?"

"I just got here. And please, drop the miss. Para ka namang naiba." Laura beamed at Rina with a sense of familiarity. She then turned her eyes to Alyssa and the girl sitting beside her.

Alyssa had sensed her gaze but she could not dare to stare back. Her whole body was stiff and was obeying what her mind was saying, even if her heart was crying for Laura.

She should not be feeling this, not when she was with Dennise but it was overwhelming her.

She needed to relax. And to remind herself of what had transpired between Laura and her and of what had not.

So instead, she decided to devote her full attention to Dennise, as how she has always ought to.

"So... Dennise, right?" Laura finally broke the long silence and addressed Dennise with one of her smiles.

"She's my girlfriend." Alyssa chimed it, taking her girl's hand in hers and proudly beaming out to Laura even if her cheeks hurt from faking it.

"I know." Laura replied. The silence ensued and not even Rina could break the tension.

Everyone at the table wished Kim would arrive really soon. And thankfully, their jolly friend showed up with gleeful vibes.

"Sorry, traffic." Kim grinned while Alyssa rolled her eyes. "Lunch is on me kaya h'wag ka nang badtrip, Baldo."

"You set up a meeting and then arrive late... very professional, Ms. Fajardo." She retorted and Dennise had to nudge her side. "What?"

"Hon..." Dennise murmured which was more of a warning.