31

31

The chorus of the medical apparatuses attached to Laura's fragile body echoed against the four white walls of the ICU. The nurse assigned to monitor Laura took few steps back as Alyssa made her way to the bedside. 

"When are you waking up?" Alyssa brushed her cheek lightly with the back of her hand. 

Laura's been unconscious since the rainy night she lost control of her car and crashed into a concrete wall. The impact would have killed Laura if it wasn't for the timely medical team that happened to be in the area of the accident. 

The smell of blood was fresh in Alyssa's head. When Laura was being rushed to the emergency room, Alyssa stood there, frozen and distant from the lifeless-looking body. Her feet found no strength to move, as if her limbs were not hers, even if she wanted to be by her side during the most critical seconds of her life.

The next few hours were the hardest. She paced the hallway back and forth nervously while trying to keep the last thread of her patience from snapping . And when, finally, the news of Laura's state reached her, she began to cry. 

But that was only the first part. The second part was all prayers. Laura had to go through all the necessary tests and operations. Multiple facial injuries, broken limbs, punctured lung, head trauma and a brain injury- all that kept Alyssa on her knees. She drew her strength from her girlfriend and her best friends who went to see her as soon as they heard the news.

Alyssa haven't had sleep for the following days. She juggled the days between the paperwork needed to transfer Laura to a private hospital, the police investigation regarding the incident, and spent the nights in the waiting room, imagining the bleeps of the machine and Laura's breathing through a trach. Every time she was allowed to visit, she'd found herself staring at the ripples of the machines attached to her body even if she knew exactly what those meant. The fluctuation on the heart monitor was the only indication that Laura was still alive.

"It's me, Alyssa. I know you don't wish to see me anymore but I am staying. Please wake up, Lau. I know how much you hate the hospital." 

Of course, Laura was unresponsive. Alyssa just hoped her voice had reached through her. She kissed Laura's forehead softly and whispered something in her ear.

But even if Dennise could not seen nor hear what was happening inside, she assumed the worst. After all, her girlfriend decided to see Laura first before her. She was in the waiting room. Her eyes blurred the figure of Alyssa who was approaching her so she kept both close again and pretended to be asleep. She did not want Alyssa know how she's been hurting lately. She did not want to add up to her girlfriend's burden nor did she want her to realize that Dennise wasn't as tough as how she appeared to be.

Soon, she felt Alyssa's weight beside her. Her girlfriend slid her arm across Den's shoulders and gently tugged her in her comfort. She breathed in the faint perfume of Dennise, a smell of home.

"Hon?" 

"Sorry. Nagising ba kita?"

"No, hon. Are you okay?"

 The wrinkles near the corners of Alyssa's eyes hinted the answer. Her shoulders were stiff and tensed and Dennise could not remember anymore when was the last time Alyssa relaxed.