Grave divers at their best

We pulled up to the cemetery and got out of the cars. We walked towards Mike's grave. Dad showed the men who were already waiting for us, the judge's orders, and they started the dig. We watched as they dug until they reached the casket.

I looked at Nik, who was pale but stood there as they got down, hooked a belt around the casket, and then lifted it out of the hole. They set it on a stand. Dad ordered them to open it, and he took out the putty. He pried open the mouth, getting an imprint of the teeth.

"Got it. Close it," Dad said.

"God, that stinks," Frazier said, coughing.

"Yeah, I guess it would with it in the ground for three years," Dad said.

They closed the casket, sealed it back up, and then lifted it and set it back. Dad examined the records along with the imprint he took, and his face dropped.

"Dad," I said.

"Jordan? What is it?" Ryan asked.

He stood up and stared at us. We looked at him with confusion.

"Is it him or not?" Frazier asked.

"You tell me. Is it me?" A voice asked behind us. We turned around to see none other than Mike standing there.

Nik passed out, and we stood there in shock. He walked past us and looked at the dug-up grave. "Nice that you desecrate my grave. I'm sure it will thrill my parents."

"We wouldn't have to if you didn't drop this," I said, holding up the bracelet to him.

"I was looking for that. Thanks for finding it," Mike said, taking the bracelet.

RJ walked over to Mike. "What is this bullshit? We saw your body and went to your funeral. Nik was a fucking mess. Only to find out you haven't been dead!" RJ grabbed him and threw him to the ground.

"Damn RJ. I figured you all would be happy to see me," Mike said, getting up and dusting himself off.

"Happy? How about an explanation?" A voice asked behind us.

We turned to see Nik standing there. Mike rushed pass us to Nik and pulled him into an embrace. "You don't know how long I've wanted to hold you."

Nik looked shocked and confused. The rest of us, well, it shocked the hell out of us. Nik pushed him away, and Mike looked at him, confused, "Nik?"

"I cried for you. I mourned for you. I grieved for you. I almost got expelled because I couldn't handle the fact you died. I drowned in emotion, pushing my family and friends away until someone reached down and pulled me up. I loved you, but now I feel nothing," Nik said as Mike dropped his hands.

"Nik, I didn't have a choice," Mike said.

"Everyone has a choice, Mike. My heart broke, and Leo helped put it together again," Nik said, taking Leo's hand.

"But I didn't. People threaten my family. They threaten you," Mike pleaded.

"Who?" RJ asked. "Who threaten you?"

"I don't know. I never saw the person's face. They said that I could make it look like I died or the people I love would include my parents and Nik," he said to RJ. Then he turned to Nik. "I couldn't let them take you or my parents. I would never forgive myself if they did."

"But they already did," Nik said to him. "The day you 'died' was the day I died with you. If you realize it, they killed me that day. They just did it with my emotions."

"Nik, if I could go back and change it, I would. But I can't," Mike told Nik.

"I can't do this anymore," Nik said, walking away from Mike.

"Nik!" Mike yelled.

Leo walked over to Mike. "Don't. I watched how he hurt over your death. How lost he was? Why come back now? When he finally got on with his life?"

"I needed to see him. I love him," Mike said.

"Then do him and everyone here a favor and disappear for good," Leo said as he walked away from Mike.

Mike looked at the rest of us as we walked past him, not saying a word until our dads walked up to him.

"You should have never come back," Frazier said.

"I needed to see him," Mike said.

"But he didn't need to see you. Was it worth it? My son finally got on with his life only to go back to square one," Frazier said.

"Please," Mike begged him.

"No. You made your choice; now, we made ours. Leave my family alone," Frazier said with a glare as he walked away.

Ryan looked at Mike. "I think it's time you disappeared, and we will help you."

"What are you going to do?" Mike asked Ryan.

"You'll find out. Jordan," Ryan said, looking at Mike.

"On it," Jordan said, taking ahold of Mike and dragging him away while Ryan gave the order to refill the grave.

RJ and I stopped over to see Nik once we got back. We knocked on the door of Nik's room, and Leo answered it. He let us in, and Nik was sitting on the side of his bed. We took a seat on each side of him.

"Nik? You okay?" RJ asked.

"Yeah. It's funny," Nik mentioned.

"What is?" RJ asked.

"All that time of mourning and anger. Now I feel nothing, and I don't even know why?" He looked down, placing his chin in his hand.

"Because maybe you never loved Mike in the first place," I said.

They all looked at me as RJ said, "That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard."

"Oh, come on! Do you think if he loved Mike that he would sit here questioning it? Use your brain for once," I said to RJ.

"You have no tact, do you?" RJ questioned me.

"Nope, and it wouldn't be me if I did, now would I?" I smirked, narrowing my eyes. Nik chuckled as I stood up. "That's my boy. Now come on," I said.

"Where are you going?" RJ asked.

"To your dad's house for dinner, or did you forget?" I asked as I walked out of the door.

"Some things will never change," Nik said.

"I heard that! If you don't come soon, I will eat your share," I yelled back, causing the two of them to race out of the room. Leo chuckled as he followed.