The truth is different for everyone

Truth is bitter, hard, and unforgiving. It is what it is, nothing more or less. Once it's told, there is no going back. It can cut like a knife or can offer relief, but it's that truth.

I sat on the side of my bed and stared at the floor. I know what I said shocked my family, but it was the truth. The only reason JJ got into any trouble was because of me. If I weren't around, he probably would have been that all-American boy who had it all. We were identical in looks except for the color of our eyes. He had brown eyes like Mom, and I had Dad's ice-blue eyes.

I sat there, feeling more alone than ever. Then I heard my door open, and someone walked over to me. The person took a seat next to me. I looked over at them to see it was Ryan.

"It's time you and I talked," he said.

"You won't lecture me because I'm so not in the mood," I said.

"No, actually, I was going to tell you I know how you feel," Ryan mentioned.

"How could you possibly know how I feel?" I questioned.

"Because you forget your mom and I are twins. I also know what it's like to feel you don't quite measure up. Even though your mom and I are different, I felt like with the two of us; she was the better twin," Ryan explained.

"So, what changed that?" I asked.

"I met this silent girl who took an interest in me, and it also helped your mom terrified her," he chuckled.

"Aunt Alex," I said, and he nodded.

"But then I almost blew it," he sighed.

"What did you do?" I questioned.

"Well, I let my anger get the best of me the night I caught your parents together naked. Alex tried to talk to me, and I lashed out at her. The terrified look told me that I needed to get my anger in check, or I would lose her completely. I almost punched out Frazier," Ryan told me.

"What stopped you?" I asked.

"Your dad. He made me realize that I was angry at the wrong people that did nothing to deserve it," Ryan answered.

"What happened with Aunt Alex? I mean, you both worked it out," I said.

"We did but not without a few bumps along the way. I was afraid of hurting her, so she got even with me and at a dance. She danced with another guy. We fought, then kissed," Ryan replied.

I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Yeah, I was an idiot, but I knew I couldn't live without her. She's the only person who keeps me sane in a world of chaos," Ryan mentioned.

"I doubt Mel will react the same way Aunt Alex did. I mean, I wouldn't blame her if she hated me," I said.

"Who says she hates you?" Ryan questioned me.

"The look in her eyes said it all," I sighed, rubbing my forehead.

"Why don't you ask her?" Ryan suggested.

"What?" I asked.

"She's standing right there," he said, pointing at the door. I looked at Mel as she stood there with Alex. I looked at Ryan, and he nodded. I got up, meandering towards her as she stood there. As I reached her, Alex walked over to Ryan.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, then she did something unexpected. She reached up and wrapped her arms around my neck, pulling me to her. I stiffened at first, then relaxed and wrapped my arms as I hugged her back. It was then that I cried, and she rubbed the back of my head with her hand.