Confused & Bruised

Chapter Fifty-five: Confused & Bruised

I look at him, confusion running all over my face. He’s supposed to be in a coma. He’s supposed to be dying.

I look to Jessie whose face grows sour as she stands next to him. She glares at Skylar.

“What . . . how . . . ?” I can’t help but think of thousands among thousands of questions, but neither one of them come out.

“So I almost die and you just . . . ya just sleep with someone else? It took us a year to begin a relationship and yet it takes about a couple days for ya to start another?” He shakes his head and walks out.

I have the audacity to run after him, after all, this is my fault. “Errik, come back!” I call, but he doesn’t pay any attention to me, as if I’m nothing but invisible. “Errik, I’m sorry!” I bellow. He runs down the stairs and I go after him, but by the time he steps out of the building, I just stay inside. I want to go, but in the outfit I’m wearing, I don’t think I am able to make it down the block.

He’s right though. I don’t see how I am able to take a few days to just have sex with someone else, yet it took us almost a year to have our first date. I try to image what I was thinking in my mind. Why I did what I did and why I didn’t stop myself. I believe it was because that I needed an excuse to get my mind off of Errik, but that isn’t true. Whenever I pressed my lips to Skylar’s, all I was able to taste was the mouth of Errik’s. I couldn’t stop thinking of Errik when our bodies collided against one another.

But my only question to this is how Errik is alive. How was he able to suddenly open his eyes and become aware of his surroundings? I don’t understand. It doesn’t make sense. But maybe the tests were wrong? Maybe the doctors and everyone in the hospital were wrong? Maybe all he had was a coma? Maybe he wasn’t supposed to die? After all, doctors are wrong about most things.

I slowly make my way up the stairs and into the apartment. Skylar is already putting his clothes back on. “I’m sorry for the trouble I have caused . . .” he trails off, trying to get on his shoe.

“No. I am sorry for doing this and not even thinking of my actions.” I run my fingers through my hair and sigh. “Just please, it would be good if you could leave,” I add.

“Understood,” he says.

I start putting on my clothes and as I do so, he walks out. I’m left feeling alone, once again. I don’t understand it anymore. I’ve been so alone and so broken and so hurt throughout all this time ever since Kenton’s death. He left and died and I was left feeling alone. I drank myself to oblivion and I cut myself and I kept to myself and I did all the things just to see if I could be happy. I regret doing all, but it still made me feel lonely. Then Errik came into the picture and he took it all away. He made me feel again, he made me whole. But then the truth came and it broke me into little pieces. And then he came home, but instead of being with me, he stayed in the hospital and I thought he wasn’t going to make it.

We’ve been away from each other for so long.

And now it’s worse because of my mistake.

I turn around and notice that Jessie is still standing in the spot she was. “How could you?” she says, her eyes piercing into mine with anger. “I thought you loved him? I thought you were better than that?”

“Oh really? What about the person who lied to me about Errik, huh?” I say in a harsh tone.

“I didn’t lie to you! Need I remind you that I’m only a nurse? The doctors are the idiots here, Ray!”