Visiting an Old Friend

Chapter Thirty-six: Visiting an Old Friend

I'm sitting on a bench. Surrounding me is the high school football stadium. The place where you first met him, I think. It's a beautiful place, really, not that I care about football. But it's a place full of championships, hugs, high-fives, even kisses—to many teenagers really.

Meeting Kenton though, changed my life. It was when I was getting ready for track and the football players were just leaving; I had accidently bumped into Kenton when I was too busy talking to Jessie on our way to the field. If it weren't for my clumsiness, I would have never met him, and I have to thank fate for that. Because I would have never spent many nights with a truly outstanding man; I wouldn't have been able to look into his gorgeous brown eyes every day.

            But now looking at this empty field, it brings pain in my heart. I spent many Saturday and Friday nights in these stands, cheering on the Chargers; the high school's team name.

            Looking towards the grey sky, a black bird flies in from the distance and comes towards me. As he reaches to the ground, he transforms into his human form; wearing his old uniform, with red, white, and orange as the colors of the school. His bright smile makes me want to cry, but I don't. I don't want to blur my vision, just gazing at the sight of him; the sight of my fiancé, my love; the sight of Kenton.

            "Hello," he speaks, and to me, the sound of his voice just breaks my heart. I've been away from him for way too long. Standing up, I briskly run to his arms and embrace his body with mine.

            With sobs rushing down my face, I quickly wipe them away, and say, "Hello, my love." Kissing his lips, it makes everything whirl around. Like it all twists in ways that I can't describe, ways that I love.

            "I have something for you," he elucidates as I get out of his hug, but I don't want to move out of the way. It's not right for us to be apart, because it's like I'm supposed to be in his arms. But I do so anyways, and when his hand reaches to the back of his body, he waits for a second, and puts his hand back out so I can see it. And in his palm is a red rose. "For our passion and love," he adds, which makes a memory trigger in the back of my mind; when I had pronounced my spoken word poetry in the French restaurant of Café Ciel; my poem Nevermore.

            "Thank you," I state, taking the flower and smelling it. The scent of a perfume arises into my nose and it smells so divine. "I've missed you."

            "I know," he says. "I've missed you too." With a pause and no noise coming from anywhere, he adds in, "How are you?" His face looks to be a bit disoriented when he asks, like he knows something; something that hurts him.

            "I'm doing all right," I say.

            "And how are you with Errik?" he continues as he gestures us to sit on the bench. When we do, I can feel my heart race within my chest and everything around me just blurs, swirling around me.

            "We're happy," I lie, still unsure of us.

            "Why are you unsure?" he blurts out, holding my hands with his, which is a nice space for my fingers; to be intertwined with his.

            "How—"

            "I was once your fiancé, Ray. I can tell when you're lying." Thinking for a moment, I don't want to tell him everything, but our relationship isn't based on lies. We tell each other everything, no matter how hard it is. We have a trustful relationship. If it's so truthful Raven, then why did you lie about yourself and Errik?