Petrified of Heights

Chapter Twenty-five: Petrified of Heights

Not only is the sky black, but the obscure clouds that hang above tells me that it will rain. I've already passed the neighborhood, went down the steep hill that is lead towards the village, and now I'm about to climb the hill to go back. As I kick small pebbles in front of me, I feel like the rock is my stomach and life is my foot; smashing into me every time I breathe or try to get up.

            There was no talk about Kenton; after I left, it was silent. I thought it would give me some time to think before I went on a walk, but it didn't do me any justice. As I climb this mountain of cement, I think of all the ways I could've handled the conversation. Should I have just left to my room? Cry? Or should I have just talked it out? I feel like I made a complete fool of myself tonight; maybe I over-reacted. But Johnavine should have brought up something else instead of the subject; why did Errik do nothing about it?

            Becoming breathless over this hurting journey, I finally make it up the hill in one piece, thankfully. If I would have climbed two more inches of that mountain, I would have died. Passing the wall of rock, I knock on the door before walking in. It isn't my house and the people in here are strangers, so I suppose I should still knock before entering.

            The door opens, exposing Cattee with a sad smile on her face. "Nice walk?" she asks, widening the door so I can come through.

            With one breath of air, I manage to say, "Yes." Walking in, I gaze in all directions to look for Errik and Johnavine; more like his father so I can avoid him.

            "I'm sorry 'bout my husband. He is curious; quite frankly, he is a little too curious. Ye're not the first one to get a question like that and leave like that, but ya are the first to come back and that means someten to us, to Errik." She chokes, like her words are hard for her to say. I don't say anything; all I do is nod whilst gazing down to the floor and walk to my bedroom.

            Right before I step into the accommodation, a door opens and Errik comes out of his parents’ room. His lips curves into a sad smile, "I'm sorry 'bout earl––" His face grows hard and then softens, knowing how much pain I'm going through.

            "It's fine," I snap, but when a sigh escapes my mouth, my body relaxes. "I'm exhausted; it's been a long day." Forcing myself to walk into the room so I don't have to talk to him or even stare at him any longer, I close the door and breathe, like air got caught in my throat and I didn't exhale or inhale when I was with Errik.

            Closing my eyes, I push away from the door and move over to the bed where I sit and stare at the digital clock with the numbers in red and changing every sixty seconds. When footsteps reach my bedroom, I hear the voices that belong to Errik and his mother.

            "'Rik, I'm sorry 'bout your friend," Cattee says softly.

            "It's all right. Right now, I just need to look after Raven, that's all. She needs me." His deep, Irish voice is soothing, but my stomach churns when I think his words; I just need to look after Raven. She needs me. I remember Kenton saying that to Periwinkle and Jessie whenever something was bad, like when I got sick or the time when my parents split up.

            Shaking it off, I wait until the light in the hallway goes black and the doors closing. Taking a glance at the time, it's eight O' nine, which means it's about two O'clock in New York. Standing up, I slowly pace my way to the door and after grasping the knob, I turn it in hopes to not make noise. Creak . . . the sound comes from the door. "Shh!" I put my index finger to my lips like the object will actually be quiet.