Isolated

Chapter Eleven: Isolated

I'm swimming in an ocean––no, I'm standing on the water. Thin layers of lightning strikes stabs through the aquatic surface; rain pours down with droplets that are the size of my thumb, deepening into the water.

I gaze down to look at my appearance and I see that I'm wearing a dark purple dress with ruffles that poofs out, black arm sleeves with holes in it, a black pendent necklace, and I'm barefoot.

            Large waves swarm around me. A feeling within me speaks out and says I’m able to control what I see, that I have some “power.” Taking a deep breath, I hold my arms out in front of me and spread my fingers; closing my eyes and motioning my arms and fingers in a rhythm as I control the lightning strikes and waves.

            Opening my eyes, I narrow them to the scene in front of me and I make the lightning strike thick as I allow it to hit me in the chest. I don’t know why I’m doing this, it’s like I’m not controlling myself. I bend my spine back a bit while letting my head fall backwards too, forcing the lightning to strike me in my heart and it does. The shocking electricity goes through my veins, causing my heart to race faster and adrenaline rushes through my body. The waves grow larger, making me become wet with their splashing droplets of water.

            When I stop and raise my head, I see a casket and I walk to it, not minding the water that’s below me. It’s as if I’m God, or maybe a Goddess? Since it’s impossible to walk on water, I find a bit excitement in this, but I keep a poker face on. There is a feeling within me to tell me to keep walking forward, to just move my legs and feel curious.

            I'm careful with each step I take, making sure my feet are aligned with each other as I put my right foot in front of my left one, and then my left foot in front of the right. I look to the ocean floor; fish swim pass each other underneath my feet. The water starts to fade away and become leaves and dirt. I look up and see the waves disappearing and trees are lined up as I'm in a forest now.

The casket is still in front of me but it's in a meadow now. People in dark robes with lit candles in their hands stand by the trees, their faces are darkened by the shadows of the trees as the sun sets on top of them and they hide their heads within the fabric, bending so I cannot see who their identity is.

            Once I reach the open coffin, my head tilts down to see Kenton's figure laying inside with his eyes closed and his hands positioned on his abdominal and his fingers entwined together. I don't cry. I don't smile. I keep a straight face and I don't know why, it's like my instincts know what's going to happen. His eyelids open and I see his brown, glimmering eyes, and he smiles up at me. But I don't grin back. I hold out my hand and he takes it as he sits up and stands on the grass that surrounds us, with flowers of all kinds growing in the background.

            I turn my attention back to the place where I came from and it's not there anymore. What's around us is the forest and a meadow, full with people whom were at the funeral. That is including the army soldiers with their guns in hand.

I gaze to Kenton who holds out his hand for me to take it and I do. He spins me around as we're dancing to sudden music that fills the air, but when I look around, no one has any instruments. I get a glimpse of the crowd in chairs and their faces don't hold smiles or excitement, they hold frowns and sadness, just like at the funeral.

            It's only Kenton that has a smile upon his face as he laughs along our quirky dancing. I don't know if I should grin or not, but I do it anyways since I'm having fun with Kenton, for the first time in a long time. When Kenton dances in the back of me, my hands with his, I search everyone in the chairs and I see myself crying, in the same thing I wore to the funeral: a long, black dress with black high heels, a large hat with a veil going down, and gloves.