The Confession

Chapter Forty-five: The Confession

“Why . . . how . . . what happened, Errik!” I yell through my teeth, seething angst rising higher and higher. I can’t say how angry and sad and disappointed I am because my body is full of mixed emotion and I feel like every part of me is about to burst into a million pieces. He comes towards me and I back away in defense mode like I’m about to beat him with my bare hands.

            But he calmly says, “Sit down; I’ll tell you everything.” His voice is shaky and I can tell he’s on the verge of crying as well—but he hides it a bit better than I can. Nodding once in command, I sit on the nearest chair and he sits beside me on the couch. “Kenton knew something was bound to happen, no matter what; it was like he was prepared for his death. He told me to keep an eye on ya and everywhere ya went, I had to follow. He told me all about you, everything. From being a sucky cook to being the kindest person. But he also said that when it’s his time, he wants us to be together. When I asked why, he never responded back,” he begins and inside, I know Kenton was hiding something from me, but I didn’t know what, until now.

            “During the war, he was in front of me,” he continues but through breaths of air, he starts to cry. “We were shooting in front of us, but weren’t getting anywhere about it. The only way they couldn’t win was if we bombed them and Kenton told me to throw a grenade. The only problem? He was in the way. I told him to move but he wouldn’t. He refused. All he did was tell me to throw it and so I did, and he was in part of the explosion. Everyone said they would’ve done the same, but I knew that was a lie because I couldn’t do it myself. And so . . . with that, he lived for the remaining thirty minutes as we hurried him to camp and he told me to keep watch of you and to help ya recover.”

            He pauses for a moment and continues on. “From the moment Kenton and I met, he kept me from meeting ya so that one day we would have our time of encountering and that made him teach me where you were going . . .”

            “So you stalked me?” I say in annoyance, knowing that he was watching my every move.

            His head bends down so I can’t see his face, and it just goes to show that he’s acting like a coward. “Yes.”

            “Ugh,” I whisper and stand, stomping on the floor to get away from here. To get away from life and especially, anywhere else away from Errik; a lying man who not only lead me on, but he ruined everything.

            “I’m sorry!” I hear his voice as I slam the door behind me. Once I’m out in the long and seems-to-never-end hallway, I place my hands over my face and sob. I can’t believe this is happening to me!

            Going to the one place where I know I would be loved, I knock on the door and it opens and I see Freddy. My cries become rapid and I can’t stop myself, or at least it feels that way. Embracing Freddy in my arms, I whisper, “You were right . . . you were right all along.”

            After about five minutes of completely crying in his arms, he invites me inside and we sit down in the kitchen area at the table. “The truth spilled, right?” he asks, clasping his hands together that are on the counter. His voice is rather calm and sarcastic than friendly.

            Looking up, I narrow my eyes. “Why the hell didn’t you tell me about this?”

            He shrugs. “I didn’t know how to tell you.”

            “I’m your damn friend, Freddy. You know you can tell me anything, just the same with me . . . but I don’t see how we can even be considered friends anymore.” I begin to stand but he sits me back down.