Bonfire

Chapter Thirty-two: Bonfire

“I have graham crackers and marshmallows and even chocolate to make s’mores!” says Xavior all happy-like as if he’s a kid again. Putting down the bag of goodies, Jessie takes it and opens all the wrappers so she can make her own s’more.

            The sky is black but with twinkling dots above us like it’s a beautiful blanket. A fire is alive in front of us, crackling with small red embers floating in the sky with a grey smoke encircling it. It’s nice to finally relax and feel pretty good that I don’t have any worries on my plate right now. It’s summer; we’re here for a month. The moon is bright and big as it allows the ocean to use calm and soothing waves to help us all feel well.

            “Gimme a s’more!” demands Periwinkle as her eyes widen in contentment. She puts out her palms and her fingers move towards her, as to say that she wants it. When Xavior gives her some ingredients, she looks like she’s on the verge of killing someone. “Yes!” She grins, putting the crackers and Hershey bar together as she puts her marshmallow on a stick and inside the fire. When it comes out with fire on it, she blows and smashes it all together. Taking a bite, her eyes roll in the back of her head in amazement. “I haven’t had a s’more in what? Seven years? Ever since we were last here, right? It feels like a lifetime ago.”

            “It was a lifetime ago, Peri,” I state, roasting my marshmallow in the pit and blowing it off when it comes towards me as if it’s a candle on a birthday cake. “To me, it feels like it was a million light years away, the past . . . you know. All it is is memories . . .”

            “How ‘bout some music to calm our nerves?” suggests Errik as he plugs his iPod into the speaker by his side and cranks up the volume. The song playing is The Best Song Ever by One Direction. Even though we’re all not a big fan of the band, we all think some of their songs are pretty catchy. Getting up, we all dance to the beat and rhythm. I jump, laugh, spin around, and even sing to the lyrics.

            “And we danced all night to the best song ever; we know every line, now I can’t remember how it goes but I know that I won’t forget her ‘cause we danced all night to the best song ever.” We all sang and “grooved” our way to a nice song.

            The next one was a little slower, but neither of us knows the song or who’s the artist, so we just sit back down and have some more s’mores. “Thank you, Raven,” begins Freddy as he takes a bite of his food and leaves some chocolate on his upper lip.

            “For what, may I ask?” I furrow my eyebrows and gulp down some beer as I put a can beside my feet.

            “For allowing this summer to be a great one—I’m sorry that I haven’t been the type of friend I once was, but with everything happening . . . I just don’t know what I should do anymore. Kenton was a great friend, and we all know that . . . but you don’t have to go through grief alone because we all are there,” he explains, but before he can go on, Jessie starts her part of the conversation.

            “I’m sorry for acting like a giant bitch. We all have our ways to cope with what has happened; and sometimes, I think in order for me to get through it, I argue with you.”

            “And it wasn’t just you, she has yelled at me too, but we are terribly sorry for how we have treated you. We should’ve stayed by your side instead of isolating and ignoring you. We should have been there when we weren’t. But just to know that you’ve gone through so much, yet you even stay by us and help us as well when we never did is something a true friend would do. Even though we all haven’t acted like one, we are still sorry for allowing our actions place us in a bad position and giving you negative reports when you should’ve received supported ones.” Periwinkle hugs herself as she gazes into the fire.