Chapter 20

Chapter 20

I held Devon’s hand tightly as I shut the car door behind me.  I quickly used my free hand to make sure that I had my car keys and my phone. I was satisfied when my hand came in contact with the cool metal of the keys in the front pocket of my hoodie. I then checked my back pocket of my shorts to make sure my phone was there. It was.

“Alright,” I turned my attention back to Devon. He stood with one hand in his mouth. His eyes were wandering, taking in his surroundings. “Ready to go?”

He just continued to take in the scenery of the park we had just arrived at.

We had come here a few times before. Mostly on the days that I got out of college early. It was too early for either my Mom or Drew to be home from work and school yet and I found that Devon enjoyed going on adventures.

I made sure I had a firm grip on his small hand as I started walking through the empty gravel parking lot and towards the playground.

“What do you think, Dev?” I asked him as we neared the smaller baby-size playground. “What should we do first?”

He looked up at me, his eyes sparkling with excitement. He removed his fist from his mouth. “Swiiing!”

I smiled. “Okay! We can go on the swings!”

“Yay!” He squealed with joy causing me to giggle.

I felt him trying to remove his hand from my grasp. His sudden burst of excitement made him want to run off. I willingly let go of him once we were on the grass. If he fell on the gravel, it would most likely end in tears. A least the grass would offer him some cushion.

Once we finally made it to the baby swings, Devon could hardly stand still.

I picked him up and placed him in the rubbery-plastic seat. He bounced excitedly making me smile. He enjoyed our afterschool adventures way too much.

“We can’t stay here all day,” I reminded him, the slight breeze causing my hair to fly around my face. “Mommy needs time to do her homework.” 

I had already been going to Woodfair Community College for about a month. It was the middle of September and it was just starting to cool down in time for the fall season.

“Go swing!” Devon was still bouncing with excitement as he ignored my words.

I grabbed the back of the swing’s seat and took a few steps back, pulling it with me. The metal chains creaked against bar that was overhead. The woodchips crunched under my sneakers.

Devon started laughing as he realized what was going to come next.

I started counting down as I held the swing near my body. “Three, two, one…blastoff!” I removed my fingers from it, allowing Devon’s seat to fly forward.

“Ahhh!” He squealed with delight as he swung flew the air. The gush of wind making his blond hair rustle

I couldn’t help but laugh at his reaction. I always enjoyed bringing him to the park. Ever since he discovered this place, it was hard to keep him away for too long.

He swung backwards towards me and I gave him a gentle push, propelling him forwards again. “You’re like a bird! You’re flying!”

“I fwy!” His adorable laughter continued. He was holding onto the front of the seat with his hands.