Chapter 10

Chapter 10

It had been one day since that little incident. Since Devon had woken James up and I had let my anger and frustration out on my brother.

It had been kind of awkward after James had come back from the gym at about 1:00pm. Whenever we would pass each other, our eyes would lock for a short period before one of us couldn’t stand it anymore and looked away. Whenever we were in the same room, I could feel him watching me. When he wasn’t looking, I would watch him, longingly waiting for him to say something, anything. We would eventually catch the other looking and just stare at each other.

But James no longer looked angry. His eyes seemed to be full of pity. It looked like he didn’t want to fight with me any longer, like he couldn’t.

 I would look back at him pleadingly, still waiting for some kind of response from him. It seemed to me that he couldn’t be angry now that he knew the truth about what I had done with the party and all. He gave the impression that he wasn’t capable of anymore rage, that he wanted to move on from it but he didn’t know how.

I had nothing left to tell him. Everything that I had wanted to say had been said. I felt as if there was nothing left for me to do but sit and wait.  

Eventually I couldn’t take it anymore. The silence was killing me. I had left the living room where everyone had been watching TV, except for me and James who had only really been secretly paying attention to each other, and went into the guest room I where I was staying. I flopped onto the mattress in frustration. That happened around 7:00pm. I had waited for him to say something for six hours. Six hours of uncomfortable silence and desperate gazes. Six hours of being eaten alive by anticipation. Giving up seemed like the only option. James clearly wasn’t going to do anything like I had originally hoped.

I stayed in the room for the rest of the night, sulking and laying on the bed in irritation.

Not too long after I left, I had heard my mother talking but couldn’t make out the words she was saying. All I knew was that she sounded a little upset. She must have been speaking to James because I heard his voice respond with as much exasperation as I currently felt.

Eventually the talking stopped. I think she had been trying to convince him to go talk to me. I anxiously waited for him to come into the room. I sat up and stared at the door for what seemed like hours. There was a good chance it had been hours too.

At last the door opened. I almost had a heart attack. My hopes were immediately shattered when it turned out to be my mother dropping Devon off. He had been getting really tired and it was late.  Everyone was getting ready to go to sleep.

The whole night I moped in the darkness, frustrated that James was being so incorporative. Why couldn’t he just come talk to me? What was holding him back?

…(*Next Morning*)…

Other than me and Devon in the kitchen, the rest of the apartment was quiet.

My mom had decided that she needed some fresh Nevada air. She left to go on a walk with Drew. He was finally torn away from the X Box and forced outside. He wasn’t too happy about it.

James had left a little earlier in the day. He was headed to the gym again.

Alex was still here. He had left the room a few minutes ago to go get everything ready for a shower. Knowing him, he’d probably be in there for a while

“Please be careful, okay Dev?” I watched cautiously as Devon sat on the kitchen counter in front of me.

His little legs were dangling off of the edge. He kicked his sock covered feet at he sat and watched me intently with those blue eyes.