Chapter 4

Chapter 4

“JAMES!! STOOOPP!” I yelled as I wrapped my arms around his torso from behind.

“DEAR LORD JAMES!” My mother yelled as she joined out insane panic of trying to save Alex.

James fought to rip his arms free from our grasp, his eyes were filled with anger and hatred. He kept jerking and twisting. Of course he was stronger than all of us put together. We just wanted to hold him off for two seconds so he could hear me out.

He flung his arm back and Drew desperately tried to hang on. Despite his efforts, he was elbowed in the stomach. Drew fell over gasping for air as he tried to get back up to wrestle James.

James took advantage of his free arm, sending another fist flying towards Alex. The impact caused another scream to escape my lips. Wasn’t there any security or something in this building?

I let go of his back and ran around to his right side in order to grab his arm. It was like wrestling a cobra. I really should’ve tried harder in gym class, I never realized how weak I was.

Drew struggled into a standing position. He attempted to shove himself in front of James and push him off of Alex, who was pinned to the ground.

My mom was desperately trying to pull Alex out of the way. I don’t think he really knew what was happening. He had both arms raised in front of his face, and his head was turned to the side. I didn’t blame him. I wouldn’t be fighting either. In his defense, this was possibly the first fight he’d ever been in.

“WILL YOU GET OFF??” I yelled, pulling James’s arm with all my might, trying to keep it from getting closer to Alex’s face.

Drew saw my struggles and pushed with his shoulder against the front of our violent brother.

“DUDE LAY OFF! HE DIDN’T DO ANYTHING!” Drew exclaimed. “THE TOURNAMENT’S OVER!”

James didn’t hear our desperate pleas. He kept going, and we were just barely slowing him down.

After about one minute, Alex had moved slightly but not much. James had gotten a few more hits in with whatever limbs he could, and we were all breaking a sweat. The whole time we were yelling and trying to get him to listen.

My mom had an arm. I had Alex by the elbows.

Drew let go of the leg he was currently holding and walked to the other side of the hallway. He ran a few steps and tackled James from the side, almost plowing my mom over in the process.

“JESUS, DREW!” She screamed.

His tactic seemed to have worked though. James had been knock on his side, with Drew on top of him. I don’t know how he managed it considering they were six years apart in age.

I tried to lift Alex’s arms off his face. “Alex come on! Move!” I exclaimed.

He started backing away and I helped him get to the other side of the hallway, to safety. He sat against the wall and groaned. His left cheek was swelling and there was some blood dripping from his nose. There were probably a few more bruises waiting to form as well.

I got up and stood in the center of the hall before my brothers, who were rolling around on the tile. I don’t know how James still had any energy left. He’d been fighting all day.

My mom went over and tried to get them to stop.

“JAMES CALM DOWN!” She was trying not to get too close, just to be safe. “DREW GET OFF HIM!”

I approached them, already regretting the decisions I was about to make. I tried to wedge my arms between them and push someone, anyone, off the other. I attempted to cram myself between them and was hit in the shoulder by someone’s flailing fist. I winced. That was going to hurt later.