Chapter 15

Chapter 15

 ( NOT THE LAST CHAPTER!!!!)

The next morning was hectic. We were all scrambling around the apartment, trying to find all of our belongings so they didn’t get left behind. James would have to mail our stuff back to us if we forgot it.

I was currently playing the fun game of this-all-has-to-fit-in-my-suitcase-because-that’s-how-I-got-it-here. It involved a lot of taking everything out of the bags, refolding the clothes that were in there, and cramming everything back inside again. It was a tedious process.

Our plane left at 3:00pm. We had to get there about two hours early so we could get our baggage loaded and go through security and everything. It also took an hour to get to the airport.

“Madelynn!” My mother yelled from somewhere in the apartment.

“Yeah?” I dropped the pair of jeans I had been folding.

“Are you ready yet?” She called back.

“Almost! I’ll be there in a minute!” I quickly folded the jeans and shoved them into the duffle bag, along with a few other things. I forced the bag to zipper closed.

I got up off the floor and quickly glanced around the room, making sure I didn’t miss anything. I ripped the covers off of the mattress and shook them out, checking for socks and other small items that could be hidden there. Nothing fell out.

I grabbed my duffle bag and slung it across my body. I picked up my carry-on bag with one hand, which was mostly filled with Devon’s stuff, and the car seat with the other.

Once I had all my stuff, it finally really hit me. We were leaving. Who knows when we’d be back, if we even came back.

Taking one more glance around the small room, I decided that nothing was left behind. I walked out of the room and into the living room. I dropped the bag and car seat I was holding onto the floor and collapsed on the couch. Drew and Alex were attempting to fit all of their things in their bags as well. I hadn’t been the only one.

“When are we leaving?” I stared at the ceiling as I waited for an answer.

“About a half hour!” Mom yelled from somewhere behind me.

I felt my stomach do a flip. Only a half hour more. I wasn’t sure how I felt about going back home. It would definitely be different than before. I hadn’t realized how empty and incomplete our house had been. We had grown so used to not having James around.  During our time here I felt that our family was complete, that it was whole again. 

After everyone had everything they had brought with them, it was time to go. The whole time that we walked through the building, rode in the elevator, and made our way through the parking lot, I had that weird feeling again that I wasn’t controlling my motions. It was like I was watching what was happening and I couldn’t do anything about it.

We loaded all of our luggage into the back of James’s vehicle. I strapped in Devon’s car seat and buckled him in. I sat in the middle next to Devon again, my thigh crammed into the hard plastic of his car seat. Drew was packed in next to me and Alex was squished against the door.

“So did you guys enjoy your stay here?” James spoke as he drove through the streets of Harwick.

“It was wonderful,” Mom replied from the front seat. “I’m so happy that we got to finally see your new home.”

“Yeah, after the first few days,” I said, happy the high levels of pressure and stress had eventually died down during our stay. It was such a relief knowing that James wasn’t nearly as upset as the first time I saw him. I knew he still had a bone to pick with Ashton but it’s not like he would be seeing him anytime soon. (AN: foreshadowing? ;) )