Chapter 31

Chapter 31

"So... What do you think he's going to say?" Corie looked over at me from her spot in the driver's seat. She was freaking out just as much as I was.

I was staring out the windshield at the park in front of us. It was the same park that I liked taking Devon to when the weather was nice. It was also the place where I had agreed to meet up with Ashton.

Usually, it seemed so inviting with its green grass, and blue skies. In the summer, the trees and small pond made it seem even friendlier. But, not today. It was gloomy out, the weather was cold, and most of the leaves had already fallen off the trees. The park was anything but inviting today.

"I already know what he'll say," I spoke quietly due to the nervousness I was feeling. I remembered back to when Ashton had arrived at my house, battered, bruised, and begging for forgiveness. I was expecting to hear the same conversation. "But it won't matter because he's already told me everything he wanted me to hear... a-and he knows that," I gulped nervously, still staring out the windshield. "It's all going to be about what I have to say..."

I could feel Corie's curious eyes on me. "And, what are you going to tell him?"

I sat in silence as her question sunk in. I tried to search for an answer but, it felt like my mind had been wiped clean. For once, my brain wasn't filled with frantic, swirling thoughts. It was blank. "...I have no idea," I felt lost. Suddenly, I wished that I had discussed my change in perspective with the rest of my family. At least then I would've had something to think about.

"Well whatever you decide," Corie paused. I looked over at her eagerly, desperate for advice. I couldn't tear my gaze from her. "I-I want you to know that I support it."

I stared at her, in disbelief.

"I know he's hurt you in the past and everything but... this is your life. If you feel its right to let him back in, great, go for it. And if you want to move to... Switzerland in order to get away from him," She cracked a smile as she spoke. "Then I'll help you pack as soon as I drive you home."

"Cor-"

"Listen, everyone's going to have their own opinion on this, myself included, but I want you to do what you think is the right thing..." Corie stared at me intently. "Don't make this decision for anyone but yourself." 

I was incredibly touched that Corie was willing to support me through anything. Despite whatever thoughts about Ashton she was keeping to herself, she would understand whatever decided to do. And that meant a lot to me. Everyone else in my life already had their opinions.

Unable to express my appreciation verbally, I quickly pulled her into a tight hug. She returned the gesture. "I'm so sorry that I pushed you away," I said, referring to the early-pregnancy era of my life. My voice was muffled by the embrace. "I don't know why I thought that was a good idea."