Chapter 17

Chapter 17

(2 weeks later)

“Are you sure you can handle this?” I couldn’t help but eye Drew suspiciously as we both stood inside the house next to the front door.  This was a terrible idea. Why had I even considered this? This was officially the worst decision I’ve ever made.

“Yeah, we’ll be fine,” Drew rolled his eyes. “Mom will be home in a few hours. I can handle it, Maddie. I’m sixteen!”

I bit my lip and stared at him debatably. Part of me agreed with him, knowing that he was more than capable of watching Devon until Mom got home from work. But there was another part that was yelling, saying I was insane for even considering letting Drew babysit. I was feeling conflicted, even though I didn’t really have a choice.

“Seriously, I got this,” Drew must’ve been able to see the concern in my eyes. “Just go. He’s waiting.”

I sighed in defeat, gripping the door handle. “Alright, fine. Just… be careful, ok? Call me if you need anything.”

“I know,” Drew got closer, forcing me out the door. “Bye!” He practically shoved me outside and shut the door in my face before I could get another word out. 

I huffed in annoyance and started to question my decisions again, staring at the closed door in front of me. I had a feeling I would regret this. I had never left Drew to babysit by himself before. There were so many ways that this could go terribly wrong. He probably wouldn’t even call me if anything did happen. Hopefully Mom wouldn’t end up getting stuck at work later than she was supposed to.

The sound of a car horn caused me to jump. I turned and saw Alex’s small pick-up truck sitting in the driveway. I had almost forgotten that he was already here.

I walked down the steps of the front porch and along the path that led to the driveway. I opened the passenger door and climbed in.

“Took you long enough,” Alex said as he started to back the truck out of the driveway.

“Sorry,” I grabbed the seat belt and buckled it. “My mom won’t be home until four so, Drew is now babysitting by himself for the first time ever.”

“Is that a smart idea?” Alex laughed, stealing a glance in my direction as we began to drive down the road.

“No, probably not. I’m just trying to convince myself that he’s seen us take care of Devon enough times to know what he has to do,” I leaned back in the seat.

“Don’t worry too much about it. He might surprise you.”

“You meant that in a good way, right?” A million different thing that’s could go horribly wrong flashed through my mind.

“Yes,” Alex chuckled. “In a good way.”

The whole reason that Alex had come to pick me up was that he was heading off to college in two days and he still needed to go buy things for his dorm. He invited me to go shopping with him for the day so that we would have another chance to hang out before he left. I probably wouldn’t see him again. He had today to shop, tomorrow to pack, and would be moving in the day after.

“So, what are we buying today?” I asked, looking over at him.

“I still need to get blankets, some bins to keep my stuff in, a mini-fridge...”

 “And you waited until today to buy all of this stuff?” I looked over at him questioningly. What if he didn’t find everything he needed? He didn’t have time to go shopping again.