Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I slowly climbed out of bed, stretching as I did so. The bright light that was peeking out from the window shade caused me to squint. I noticed that the bedroom door was wide open and Devon was nowhere in sight.

I wasn’t too concerned. Someone would be watching him. I could hear that there were people already awake and walking about.

I walked over to where my bag was, by the wall opposite of the mattress, and dug through it until I found my brush. My hair tended to be a knotted mess whenever I woke up. But somehow I managed to get the tangles out.

I threw the brush back in my bag and walked out of the room. As I got closer to the kitchen, the smell of food got stronger.

I looked and saw my mother standing in front of the stove top, tending to a frying pan. James was standing at the counter. He was making something, I wasn’t too sure of what it was.

“What are you doing?” I walked into the kitchen and leaned back against part of the counter.

“Protein shake,” James replied as he grabbed an egg from the carton next to him.

“Oh,” I smiled as I watched him. “You’re one of those people.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” He cracked a smile as he added the egg to the mixture in the glass in front of him.

“You know, one of those I-go-to-the-gym-a-lot-and-eat-nothing-but-protein-shakes,-falcon-eggs,-and-rocks types of people,” I spoke the middle part of the sentence in the best manly voice I could come up with.

James burst out laughing. “Never have I eaten a falcon egg or a rock.”

“Close enough,” I giggled, referring to how all really athletic people only ate things that gave had ridiculous amounts of vitamins and other things that their bodies needed.

James added some of the powdery protein mix stuff to the glass. He began stirring all of the ingredients together. It turned a weird brown color.

“That looks really gross,” I eyed the glass skeptically.

“It’s not that bad. I promise,” James put the spoon, that he had used to stir it with, down and took a sip.

I continued to watch him doubtfully. There was no way that those things tasted good.

“Here, try it,” James held the glass out towards me. He must’ve noticed that I had my suspicions about the drink.

I took it from him carefully, glancing back to him to see what his expression was. Did he already know how I was going to react?

James‘s face was calm. There was a hint of a smile on his lips which made me question if I should’ve really drank it or not.

I cautiously brought the glass to my mouth and took a small sip. I made a face. It tasted really bland and powdery. Definitely not something I’d want to drink a whole glass of.

James let out a small laugh at my expression.

I gave the glass back to him. “There’s no flavor.”

James just shrugged and took another drink of it, unaffected by the plain taste.

Breakfast consisted of cheesy scrambled eggs and toast. We all sat around the living room again to eat it. Devon sat contently and ate his cheerios and juice, also trying the food that I had on my plate.

“I can’t believe we fly back home tomorrow…” Mom pushed the remains of her scrambled eggs into a pile on her plate.

“...tomorrow?” I looked up from my plate quickly and glanced at her. I had completely forgotten how long we had been in Nevada. We were supposed to stay here for a week. “Has it already been that long?”