Chapter 1

Uppercut: Chapter 1

"The plane will be boarding for Henderson, Nevada in approximately 30 minutes."

I stood by the window of the waiting area, holding my son, Devon, in my arms. His little hands reached out to touch the glass.  He started to hit it and squealed. I readjusted his weight and grabbed him by his armpits to put him down. I sat him in his car seat, which was sitting next to me on the floor, and pulled out my phone. It was probably important to let my family know when the plane would be leaveing.

I texted my younger brother Drew to let him know we were leaving soon. He and my mom had went to put our luggage in the baggage check while Alex went to grab some food from Tim Horton's.

Devon began squealing again, trying to get my attention. I put my phone back into the front pocket of my jeans and smiled at him. I grabbed my purple duffle bag in one hand and Devon's car seat in the other. I walked away from the window and towards the chairs that were in the crowded waiting area.

I sat a few seats away from another family. I put my bag and the car seat down on the floor in front of me as I waited for everyone to come back. I watched Devon as he played with his shoe, trying to get it off. He looked so concentrated on the task, his little face scrunched up as he tried to get a good grip on it. I smiled as I watched him. His sandy hair hanging near his bright blue eyes.  He seemed so determined.

I couldn’t have even count the number of times that I had compared his eyes to his father’s… I sighed and looked across the room towards the window. The plane was in my view. As I looked at it, I felt the butterflies in my stomach again. That feeling had been all to familiar over the past week or so. I couldn’t help it, I was extremely nervous. This was going to be the most intense visit I would ever have with my brother. I knew it was going to be anything but easy to tell him the secrets I had kept from him since he moved away. I knew he would be angry with me, and that thought was terrifying. 

We were going to Harwick, Nevada to visit my older brother, James. He had moved to Nevada to become a boxer. He always enjoyed boxing. It was a hobby of his growing up, not that my mom or grandmother approved of it.

They raised us to be polite and never be rude or mean to anyone and all that stuff. Well, look how that turned out.  James is a boxer and beats people for a living and I'm an 18 year-old high school graduate with a 19 month old baby. Yup. We made our mom and grandmother so proud.

That's why Drew is mom's favorite. Just kidding, it's because he's the youngest. Mom loves us all, even though she may not approve of our life decisions. She's learned to accept them and be there for us when we need her. Nana's probably turning in her grave. I don't think she'd be as accepting as mom is.

Devon started squirming. I sighed, picking him up and setting him on my knee. He better be good during the flight, I get enough attention from him as it is.

He started playing with my fingers and talking his baby talk. I smiled and ruffled his hair with my other hand.

I glanced over at the other family who was now watching me. I gave them a slight smile and went back to paying attention to Devon. I did my best to try and ignore them. I forced myself to watch Devon even though I could feel their intense gaze on me.  It was annoying when people stared or gave me looks but I was used to it now. I'd been dealing with it for almost two years.

Devon looked up at me, his blue eyes watching my face. Then he yawned. I moved him closer to me and he leaned his head against my chest. I started humming to him, mostly just songs I'd heard on the radio recently. I rested my head on top of his as I looked around the airport. I watched as people scrambled around in an attempt to find the right gate and keep their group together.