Chapter 18

AN: I feel like this story would make a whole lot more sense if I made a prequel to it. It’s probably kinda confusing to you guys and I feel that I’m the only one that really knows what’s going on…

The prequel would take place a few years before Uppercut and would pretty much be about everything that she explained James in this story. There would be other stuff too. I already have a bunch of ideas. I’m just not sure if you guys would want me to make a prequel... Would you read it if I did make one? Do you want me to make one? Do you think it would help to understand Uppercut better?  Please let me know your thoughts in the comments or send me a message or something!! Your thoughts and opinions are welcome! I want to hear from you guys!! :D

Chapter 18

“He’s not going to be here that much longer, is he?” The muffled yelling of my brother and his friend was coming from somewhere in our house. I groaned and grabbed a few of the condiments off of the dinner table and went to go place them back in the fridge. My mom, Devon, Drew, his friend Keith, and I had all just finished eating dinner. Devon was still strapped in his high chair.

“Keith told me that his mother was going to pick him up sometime soon. Probably in an hour or so,” she said, handing me more things to put away.

“Good,” I sighed and grabbed the containers and jars from her. I placed them on the appropriate shelves in the fridge. “I don’t think I can take it much longer.”

“They’re just being boys.”

I scoffed and shoved the last of the containers into the fridge.  “I doubt all boys are this loud when they play video games.” A threw her a disbelieving glance over my shoulder before closing the door to the refrigerator.

“Well you know how- …Maddie?” She abandoned whatever she was originally going to say. The way she way she said my name made it sound like she was confused.

“Hmm?” I turned and looked at her. Her eyes flickered up to mine.

“When did you get that?” She pointed down in my direction. I followed her gesture to try and see why she was looking at me.

 “Wha-?” Then I saw it. She had been pointing at my bracelet. The one that Alex had given me before he left for college a few days earlier. I felt my stomach knot as I thought of him. I was still trying to process the whole ‘kiss’ thing. I quickly turned on my heel, away from my mother, and wandered over to Devon in his high chair. “Oh… Uh, Alex gave it to me… before he left…” I tried to hide the sudden wave of nervousness that swept through my body and act cool. It seemed silly of me to get nervous from mentioning him, he was still my friend.

“Oh, Okay. I’ve noticed you wearing it lately. I couldn’t remember seeing it before,” She laughed. “Well that was nice of him.”

“Mm hmm,” I nodded as I grabbed the mostly-empty bowl and spoon off the tray of the highchair. Devon watched me and I smiled at him. Then I went to place the items in the sink. I was trying to keep myself busy as I waited for the subject to change.

 “Have you talked to him since?” She asked, appearing next to me at the sink. The sound of my obnoxious brother and his friend radiated through the house again.

“Yeah,” I turned the faucet on and rinsed out the bowl. “He’s all moved in. I guess his roommate’s pretty cool.” I smiled as I remembered the picture he sent me the day of the move. It was of two pillow pets. Apparently his roommate decided to bring one too. They were bound to get along.

“Well that’s good. Are you okay with it yet?” She asked, referring to the fact the Alex was gone and that we were both so used to spending so much time with each other.