Chapter 11

Chapter 11

After a few minutes, James had given Devon back to me. I managed to feed him the last of his yogurt without it going everywhere, again.

The whole time I felt James watching me. Now that we were getting along again, he seemed interested in the fact that I was a mom. He no longer seemed to have the same point of view as before, when he just saw me as a teenage girl who got knocked up by her jerk of a boyfriend. James now seemed curious about how I managed to take care of Devon and how it had affected me as a person.

I threw out the yogurt container and put the spoon in the sink. I decided to grab another wet paper towel to wipe Devon down again. He was probably sticky.

Devon was sitting on the counter. I walked over and grabbed one of his hands. He started to squirm.

“Hold on Dev,” I laughed at how antsy he was. He was always like this whenever I tried to clean him up. “We’re almost done. Then you can go play.”

I dropped the arm I was holding and grabbed the other one, making sure to get all the stickiness off of his hands and fingers.

“It’s weird seeing you like this,” James spoke up from beside me.

I quickly glanced at him. He looked really amused at what I was doing. I rolled my eyes and stuck my tongue out at him.

He laughed at my reaction.

“It would’ve been interesting to see you in the beginning of all this,” I could hear the smirk in his voice.

I dropped Devon’s arm and wiped his face off before throwing the paper towel out. I picked Devon up off the counter and sat him on my hip.

“I’m really glad you didn’t,” I turned toward my brother. “It was really embarrassing.”

“Oh was it?” There was slight sarcasm in his voice.

“Yeah, it was,” I stated as I left the kitchen and headed towards the living room.

James just laughed and followed me.

I shifted Devon, so I was holding him in front of me, and sat down on one of the couches.

James plopped down next to me. The expression on his face told me to continue telling him about my first encounters with Devon.

I sighed. “Okay, fine!”

Devon was now crawling around on top of me and grabbing at my hair.

“Well, I was never around babies a lot when I was growing up. I can’t really remember Drew as a baby because I was only two when he was born. So, I never really experienced… how to act with babies and how to take care of them and stuff.” I looked over at James and laughed.

“Seems like you were off to a great start then,” His eyes flickered between Devon and I.

“Oh, yeah,” I spoke sarcastically as I pried Devon’s fingers from my knotted hair. “I had hardly ever been around babies before and suddenly I had one of my own. I felt like an idiot with the silly faces and the baby voices I would make when I was playing with him. It was embarrassing when other people would watch.  I actually started watching a lot of movies and those home videos that Mom took to see how to interact with him.”

James burst into laughter. “That’s where you learned your parenting skills from?” He looked at me like I was crazy.

“I’m serious!” I tried to keep myself from laughing with him. It did seem kind of ridiculous. “Me and Alex had so many movie nights with those! We were watching all types of baby videos even before Devon was born.”